Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping your meat from spoiling

Keeping your meat from spoiling

So you get dropped off in the back country on a lake. It's mid August and you are not expecting your ride back out to arrive for 10 days. Let's say you get extremely lucky and cut your tag on day 2 or 3. It's 20 degrees during the day and you have 7 to keep your meat from spoiling. What's a tried and tested best way to prevent this from happening. I realize there is probably a thread already about this but could not find it

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Keeping your meat from spoiling

sat phone, call the pilot to come get it.......most of the time up north even in mid august temps will be low enough at night to cool it down, then just keep it shaded in the coolest place you can find during the day, make sure its well protected from bugs, and you should be aight

Move to the shade and try to find a breeze keeping your meat in game bags and away from the flies until it cools down to match outside temperatures. As soon as it does, put your game bags into garbage bags, and while leaving the garbage bags open at the top partially submerge them in the surrounding lake water.

The meat should cool down quickly and since you're keeping it dry but breathable with the bags open at the top you should be safe to do this daily as long as you rotate the meat within the bags every few hours. At night, take the meat out of the garbage bags and hang as normal.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

I have put the meat in zip lock bags and put in them in a creek and in the tat we dug a hole in the ground and covered it with moss, both ways it kept perfectly fine for many days.

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    sat phone, call the pilot to come get it.......most of the time up north even in mid august temps will be low enough at night to cool it down, then just keep it shaded in the coolest place you can find during the day, make sure its well protected from bugs, and you should be aight
    Im thinking this could get expensive? Nothing's free in this world ha

Quote Originally Posted by 604ksmith View Post
    Move to the shade and try to find a breeze keeping your meat in game bags and away from the flies until it cools down to match outside temperatures. As soon as it does, put your game bags into garbage bags, and while leaving the garbage bags open at the top partially submerge them in the surrounding lake water.

The meat should cool down quickly and since you're keeping it dry but breathable with the bags open at the top you should be safe to do this daily as long as you rotate the meat within the bags every few hours. At night, take the meat out of the garbage bags and hang as normal.
    What he said.

If you have deboned it take it out of grain bags every day or two and lay it out in the wind or sun to dry out.

Bottom line is you got to cool it down and dry it.If the meat is hot it will sweat,as heat tries to escape.If it accumulates on the meat ,it is a breeding ground for germs.That is why you got to protect it from flies too.A nice mixture of citric acid will greatly protect it against bacteria.Some black pepper is good advice.Laying it on a platform,on the lake is a good plan too,cover it with some brunches if it is sunny.The cool lake breeze can be your ticket,as you don't have to remove it at all.Just improvise.And good luck.

I always try to camp near a creek. I make a platform inches above the creek, in the shade and put the meat there. Its not very bearproof but I do the pee-rimiter around it. Bears always seem to steer clear of me. I also spray the game bags with vinegar to help keep flys off.

Cool it down and keep it in the shade. Also make sure the breeze can get to it to skin it up.

No matter the temperature, we always mix some vinegar and water 50/50 and use a garden sprayer to coat the meat immediately after gutting, skinning and hanging. It keeps the flies from laying eggs.

If you don't have a sprayer just wipe it all down with an old cloth.

We've hung deer and moose for 3 weeks in warm weather that way. You lose some meat due to dehydration but we've never lost one due to spoilage.
    Last edited by 07blackwater; 01-08-2016 at 08:05 PM.