Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping your meat from spoiling

Re: Keeping your meat from spoiling

K So . i have a question Gargage bags ? wont the meat sweat ? i think letting cool in game bags in the shade would be better . Air flow .
    " Never tell me the Odds "

I think they are referring to how to keep it from spoiling well after it's been cooled off....... No one would put warm meat in a garbage bag for long....

I have had great luck with double bagging meat and submerging it in a lake or creek for days. I've also heard you can dig a deep hole and bury it but I wouldn't be surprised if it was gone when I returned.

Lots of folks get into this dilemma after one guy shoots a ram on day one of a 10 day hunt. So be prepared.

You know why Popeye never had a problem with his meat spoiling, he stuck it in olive oil.
    Jelly -- Olive oil and some winnigerrr -- lil rock salt to firm it up -- then cut into portions
    Last edited by Jelvis; 01-09-2016 at 09:30 PM. Reason: POP goes dah veeeeee zel

I've thrown quarters without any wrap in cold river for 3 days and the meat turned out perfect .

Ya i see reason why a cold running stream wouldnt work just fine .. if you have one handy , and you could keep a eye on it .
    " Never tell me the Odds "

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    You know why Popeye never had a problem with his meat spoiling, he stuck it in olive oil.
    Jelly -- Olive oil and some winnigerrr -- lil rock salt to firm it up -- then cut into portions
    Lol, I miss reading what Jelvis has to say. Hope he starts posting again.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    Lol, I miss reading what Jelvis has to say. Hope he starts posting again.
    I agree with you, but I know a lot that wouldn’t. His posts were like a train wreck. You just had to keep reading!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    I agree with you, but I know a lot that wouldn’t. His posts were like a train wreck. You just had to keep reading!
    No doubt, I hope he's doing well and just taking a break from HBC.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

When you fly in to a lake, use the lake as your fridge. Rubbermaid totes that you used in the plane can be filled with deboned, cheeseclothed meat, 3/4 submerged in that icy water. Pile rocks on top of the lids. The lids dont fit airtight so you get air movement. Sealed garbage bags are anaerobic and breed bad bugs. Those totes are great for the long drive back...throw gas station ice into a waterproof bag on top of the meat. The only bad part to this is somebody has to wade into that cold water...you should hear my hunting partner bitch!