Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Pick New Hunting Footwear!!

Help Me Pick New Hunting Footwear!!

Hey Guys,

Hoping that some one can help me find some new hunting boots for the next season. I will be spending lots of time on a quad and then hop off and hike into a blind. I will be spending lots of time on region 8 and region 3 with some occasional trips up to the Dawson Creek and Prince George.

I was looking at the Rutmaster 2.0 from Irish Setter but my main questions is, would you rather have a 17" boot or your regular 8" hunting boot?

Right now I have a 8" pair but I always seem to worry if I have to hike through a creek or what not I could soak them. (They are a garbage pair that I had to pick up to get me through this season)

All opinions welcome!

Thanks,
    BA

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Help Me Pick New Hunting Footwear!!

Welcome to the forums BA .....
    Hoping these folks here are 'easy' on you ..... there may be suggestions of going with a Region 5 boot, or possibly a Region 4 ....
    Have fun here ...... especially if you're a Canuck fan !!
    Again welcome ....

Elk trackers

For your uses I would get a taller pair although 17" seems a bit overkill. Both of my current boots (Lowa and Scarpa) have a shorter shaft made for the intention of hiking. I find shorter shafts suck late season as snow likes to work its way in over the top quite easy. I feel like this may be a problem with your intended hunting style if you have to walk a ways from the quad to the blind.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Welcome to the forums BA .....
    Hoping these folks here are 'easy' on you ..... there may be suggestions of going with a Region 5 boot, or possibly a Region 4 ....
    Have fun here ...... especially if you're a Canuck fan !!
    Again welcome ....
    b.ashforth.......Welcome to HBC, you will soon realize there are Canuck Fans and then the other Aceholes on HBC.........

I'm looking for some new boots also so will be good to hear what some good HBC members have for advice ! my boots will need to work in regions 3-4 and 8 !

I was looking at the Under Armour Brow Tine boots with 1200 grams of thinsulate ? I know two guys using them and are very happy with them, I think you can get them with 400,800 or 1200 grams of thinsulate.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Meindl... Been in them since 1999. (not the same pair) Construction Forestry Hunting Dancing.... they work for me!
    "Pimpin' aint easy"

I love my Irish Setter Elk Trackers - I got 1000g insulation on them and they are great in the winter, and just fine in the summer too. Hiked all over the Rockies for 4 days this past summer and they were awesome.

If you're in Kelowna, Wholesale Sports has 40% off hunting footwear right now, my friend picked up Irish Setter Deer Tracker's for $140!

Quote Originally Posted by KOPPER22 View Post
    Both of my current boots (Lowa and Scarpa) have a shorter shaft made for the intention of hiking. I find shorter shafts suck late season as snow likes to work its way in over the top quite easy. I feel like this may be a problem with your intended hunting style if you have to walk a ways from the quad to the blind.

Gaiters will solve that problem of snow in your boots. Gaiters also work well for short quick trips through water up to the top of the gaiter. I upgraded from my old MEC gaiters to Kuiu gaiters and just love them.

Best boots I have ever owned hands down is Meindl .Not sure where to find them these days .I had the Canadian hunters,lasted me over 20 years hard use hunting,the tanic acid in the muskeg swamp finally did them in .The pair I have now are 10 years and going strong.

Going to agree with Darek and others on the Elk Trackers x Irish Setter, watch this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOvF21G85Ws

Quote Originally Posted by DarekG View Post
    I love my Irish Setter Elk Trackers - I got 1000g insulation on them and they are great in the winter, and just fine in the summer too. Hiked all over the Rockies for 4 days this past summer and they were awesome.

If you're in Kelowna, Wholesale Sports has 40% off hunting footwear right now, my friend picked up Irish Setter Deer Tracker's for $140!