Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Should We Start Shooting A Bow

When Should We Start Shooting A Bow

I Have A 4 Year Old Dought Who Love To Watch Me Shhot My Bow And She Is Asking For One For Xmas Is That O Young I Dont Think So But Some Other Opinions Would Be Nice Also She Asked For A Compound Should I Start Her On A Recurve First Or A Compound

2. Site Sponsor

Re: When Should We Start Shooting A Bow

4 years old and "requesting" a compound? too funny

my niece isnt quite 3 yet and she wants my 300 saum already..she tells me every day that she is going to shoot a moose and i m goin to shoot a bear cuz she is scared of bearss lol..now back on topic...i dont use a bow but would love to get into and i wish that iwas brough up with bows just the same was i was brought up with rifles so i say the younger the better..
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

Just having her interested in shooting a bow is great. My 20 year old daughter now uses a compond bow. She and her brother started using a recure with 15lb draw weight when they were young also. My son likes to use a recure over a compoud. Your daughter is not to young. Get her a bow she can pull easily, stick bows are usually easier to get a hold of and easier to learn and also cheaper. Have the target really close so she gets bulleyes. Make it fun for her and she will chose compound or stick bows when the time comes.
    Todd

Smile Re: When Should We Start Shooting A Bow

My daughter is 9 months old now. And she already has a longbow, and her first deer rifle. I might have jumped the gun a little bit, but as soon as she can and or wants to, she'll be shooting. Just like mom and dad.

Marc S.
    JB flang is my hero.

Moose guide infamous quote.
    "when you shoot em just right their feathers go puff"

Under your supervison I think the sooner the better. They have all sorts of great low poundage recurves out there.
    If you're going to find tracks you better make tracks!

Ya I am with the younger the better crowd. Stay away from Taylor bows. Good price and a good bow for the money but no follow through.

Maybe Chekmate makes a childs bow. I would stay away from a compound for a child. too heavy. They gotta hold them up and pull back and stay on target.

=keith=

Smile Re: When Should We Start Shooting A Bow

I am also on the younger the better band wagon. I think the recurve is your best bet. Like others have said lighter and easier to learn. The more fun you make it the more likely she will continue on for a fun filled life with archery. Steve.

Both my Son and Daughter (12 & 11 now) started with the #15 recurve that Nails speaks of, about 4 years ago. They both now shoot a compound and really enjoy it. I think they like the idea of doing something with me and it was easy for them to pick up. Start them young...

Craig
    It's ok to get excited, just learn to control it.....If you don't get excited, might as well go home!!

I got my rifle when I was 9, And I started shooting when I was 7 so I was a little older than your daughter when I started ,but like the rest of these guys said the younger the better. I don't think I'll be interested in a bow for a long time.( I like loud noises )
    Expect nothing, and you won't be disappointed