Thread: sharpening broadheads

sharpening broadheads

How do you sharpen broad heads ??? ,i was going to use the stone to do this ,is this the way to go ???.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: sharpening broadheads

Two ways are common but not the only means.

1: Buy a broadhead wrench with the sharpening tool on it. This works for general sharpening.

2: If the head has taken damage you will need a flat stone sharpener such as the flat Diamond from G5. Mark your broadhead edges with black felt marker, and slide it along the stone until there is no more marker visible. This will remove damage such as burrs and notch's.

I've been told the first way removes less metal, however the second way is necessary for damage removal.

Bow Walker Guest

What kind of heads are you using Wayne? Replaceable blade? All one unit? It works like sharpening your knife or skinning knife. Just get the blade(s) as sharp as you possibly can.

I am using montec broad heads ,there a one piece head ,no moving parts on them. i was told that they are the best to use.

your right, those are the best to use. IMHO.

you can order a sharpener specifically designed for those heads at:

http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/...roducts_id=303

you can also order practise broadheads that are identical to montecs for cheaper and they are dull. they are available here:

http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/...oducts_id=3567

hope that helps, I use the pre season tips to practise with. your hunting heads should be kept kinda sacrid. especially g5 montecs.
    "Using your legs to go up a road is called walking, not hiking and if you have a gun over your shoulder or a bow in hand it's called road hunting."
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.

Bow Walker Guest

Montecs are good. I sharpened mine with a low r.p.m., wet grinding wheel and finish them with a fine grit diamond hone.