Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fishy mallards

Re: Fishy mallards

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Dave, sometimes you should just ignore the drivel uttered by the cool guys - thanks for sharing your experiences with us, clearly you have had years and years of experience in the fields and marshes - so I'd take your word any day of the week over some "scientific evidence" that probably means squat in the harsh light of day!
    x2 ..........

If theres no science it never happend... Not even after 50 years of experience.

lew I accept your reasoning experience usually speaks the truth as for myself and my father before learned that in birds or any other game for that matter we found it is all about what they eat themselves and I would like to accuse the ignorance of others but I wont

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    So no science then? How do you know with bird in hand let alone in flight if its a resident or not? Also there aren't many spawning salmon around in Dec. Maybe the odd coho but everything else has been washed away with the storms. Sorry man, but insinuating that flocks of 8 or less are "probably" residents, is completely ridiculous.
    Check their drivers licence?

If the duck has flown down the coast eating lettuce and kelp it will taste different too. You just never know if it will be a good one or not. I have probably shot 6000 birds as well. Duck and goose hunting since 1970.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Turn all ducks into jerky for deer hunting, they all taste great then.

Been out of the LM waterfowl game since 2015 but have a little to add here. My crew observed while hunting the fields surrounding the Nicomekl and the Serpentine Mallards eating worms and insects in the soil of fields in foresaid area, my educated guess was this was due to limited forage around (dry years). We also noted a different taste to these ducks vs migrators (obviously) but also different from the local yokels who foraged in water within the vicinity. Just my two cents, we all really miss the feet in your face action tremendously!! Good hunting all, get those bands
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm