Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 18 meter bare bow winter challenge

Re: 18 meter bare bow winter challenge

Steely are you using a deep hook or a shallow hook with your release? I learned about another release method the last couple weeks. When you engage your back muscles for back tension start to slowly squeeze your fingers. Like increasing the hook very very slowly... I don't know how or why but when you do this, the string explodes of your fingers in a true surprise release. The only way I could get it to work for me though was to mainly squeeze my ring finger and the other 2 follow and "bang" it is very consistent.

I never gave much thought to my hook; natural and comfortable position is the string on the first joint of both the middle and index finger. The ring finger pad bears a little weight but is mostly along for the ride. I get that good explosive release when I have proper back tension and good form.

As a side note, I am now using an American Leathers Big Shot glove. Expensive, but oh so nice.
    SD

Shot a 223 and a 221 back to back tonight with a 1, a 2, and a couple of 3's in there somewhere. Lowest end was a 12. I knew the bad shots as soon as I released, mostly bow arm jumping on me. I am volunteering for the BC winter games archery this weekend, will get to see how an 18 meter competition is run. Glad to see you are enjoying the Challenge Steely Dan.

well I watched the archers compete in the BC games yesterday. Some very good shooters in compound, recurve and bare bow categories. They get 2 minutes to get 3 arrows away with about 5 minutes to score them. After 30 arrows they get a 15 minute break then on to the next 30 arrows. 60 arrows takes all of 2 hours. The cool cats that used up all of their 2 minutes away seemed to be the best shooters. Recovery time between arrows and ends is essential. Today I shot a 230 and a 218 back to back all in less than 60 minutes lowest arrows were a couple of 4's. The last 5 ends is where I faltered and could feel myself losing control because of fatigue. I will have to take more time the next session. Overall things are coming together well and I'm starting to show consistency while practicing at home and at the range.

Showed up today at the range and there were a couple beginners and some kids learning to shoot. So between helping out with technical stuff and pulling a couple arrows out of plywood it took longer to shoot 30 arrows, about one hour, resulting in a 237 score. Best so far ! Seems like I'm get a good sight picture for 18 meters. Will be moving outdoors now and working at longer distances but will still test myself now and then at 18 meters. Am putting some thought into what my next bow will be, all very exciting!!

Have you checked out the US Indoor Nationals scores just held? Dewayne Martin and John Demmer shooting in the Traditional class are in the 270 and 280's. That is a nine or ten on every shot! I stand in absolute awe of their shooting and mental discipline.

Until 3D outdoor competitions start full blown (starting with Abbotsford and the Kamloops), I continue to practice at 18 meters. My average has dropped a little, to 219, with a couple of bad scores shot back to back. It has been a learning experience.
    SD

Are any of you guys coming to the indoor nationals in Cloverdale? I will be there.

Steelydan... I believe Demmer set a record last year and Dewayne wasn't far behind. They are both really decent and helpful guys. I talk to them a bit over on Tradtalk.

Those guys are shooting at a blue face nfaa target, 5-4-3-2-1, where the 5 score like the fita 9-10 (yellow) and the 4 score is like fita 7-8 (red). They are getting 80% in the nfaa 5 which is amazing. One day when I grow up and after thousands of arrows I hope to get 80% in the fita red and yellow. Maybe score over 300 in 3D shoot. Maybe even get an elk!

Because of the difference in weather and ground , progress is hard to judge in 3-D events . Suggest personnel goals , two misses per event then none . Then number of fives per twenty , get down to two and your in some serious country .
    Remember , Winners hit all the close ones and the long stuff sort of evens out . Beer is lost on those so called gimmies .
    Chers
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC