Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 18 meter bare bow winter challenge

Re: 18 meter bare bow winter challenge

I took up the challenge again today, only this time the way you wanted. 18 metres, 10 ends of 3 arrows each end. Vegas target withe the smaller scoring rings, 10 down to 1. Today I shot a 211.

What did I learn today? 1. I should have taken a few warm up shots first. 2. I am still grouping too high. 3. I shot better yesterday. 4. This is fun and good practice.
    Cheers,
    SD

Quote Originally Posted by buddyrip View Post
    Nice. That would average out to 280, top notch!!! My best 3 arrows were two 9"s and a 10x at 28 pts and my worst was 12.
    Doesn't work like that though…...

Why the 300 round is accepted is to gauge consistency and focus throughout the round, especially if done in a league or with others to throw in some pressure.

Maintaining those good arrows throughout is where the game is won and lost.

And that is my experience Outsyder! Last night while shooting with 4 others I was on my way to possibly breaking 230's. The pace was too fast and some minor interruptions and I blew my last 2 sets with a 12 and 17 ending up with a 216. Still good shooting for me. What I learned was the pace was too fast, 1 min to 45 second 3 arrow sets, basically flinging arrows. I will ask if we can slow it down next time, only 3 of us are scoring. later on I took my time and shot some slower arrow sets and went back to good grouping in the red and yellow. Scoring once a week is where I take what I've worked on at home and put it to the test. Very pleased with the results.

Thanks for giving it a whirl Steely. Foxtail and Outsyder, you guys must have some paper to shoot at ?

Shot today again, but this is the last score I will post for a while for fear of boring everyone. It was a 218. I only had one in the ten ring out of thirty arrows but quite a few nines.

Like Marc said, it is a good gauge in showing how consistent you are over the long haul.
    SD

Quote Originally Posted by buddyrip View Post
    Thanks for giving it a whirl Steely. Foxtail and Outsyder, you guys must have some paper to shoot at ?
    Right now I am re-building my shot but I will try to get on it!

Focus is my issue…..always has been! I used to shoot 144 arrow rounds up to 100yds in my UK target archery days but now I hate to say but I find circle slaying dull, an attitude I need to work on. I hold my own against most on the 3D's, I suppose I should re-visit some targets for S's and G's

I shot one course of fire each day for the last six days, using the same old equipment. Scores were 221, 236, 238, 225, 234 and 225 today. Average over the six rounds a 229.

Focus is always the main challenge. Flaws or inconsistency in form certainly shows through.

I think that if I took the game really seriously, I would upgrade some equipment, work on the mental game and get a good coach if I could find one.
    SD

What draw weight are you using steely? Last night I switched to 40lb limbs from the usual 30lb as I plan on using 40lb in the 3d shoot. Shot a 209, some good 3 arrow sets and some not. I am not in complete control of 40lbs and that many arrows in that short of time. Being fairly new I am not in complete control of 30lbs yet.

Oh ya, 36# howat!

After a couple of days off I shot the 18 Meter Challenge again. I shot very poorly and managed a 200 only because I got a 10,9,9 on the ninth end to save myself. I realized that was not right and that I was holding most of the weight with my bow arm and not getting good back tension. Arrows were being scattered and I found myself plucking a few arrows much to my dismay.

The beauty of the NFAA 300 is that it gave me a gauge to realize that something was wrong with my form and the ability to adapt and make a change.

This morning started out the same with arrows in the first end being a 3,10,3. I made a correction in my form and tried to focus on proper back tension and clean release. Result was a final 225. Whew.
    Keep on Shooting.
    SD