Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 18 meter bare bow winter challenge

18 meter bare bow winter challenge

Any bare bow archers interested in posting their experiences and their scores at 18 meter target shooting. I am assuming somewhere there would be a category like this and mostly because that is what I will be doing this winter for practice. 18 meters indoor or outdoor at a 40 cm target shooting your longbow, recurve, horsebow or whatever. No sights, release aids or stabilizers, but rests would be okay. I am new to shooting recurve and am curious how the masses would score. Beginners and experienced welcome!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 18 meter bare bow winter challenge

That is what I shoot but I have no 40cm faces. I mostly shoot at my parents place when I find time. I believe stringwalking us allowed in barebow. I also stringwalk.

Oh, and we would be scoring out of 300, 10 sets of 3 arrows. My next round will be on january 2nd with a club, very Casual shooting, some are shooting 300 rounds and others are practicing form or arrow tuning. I will join in on some of the 300 rounds. Hoping to get some new 600 spine arrows for then and hoping to get some peoples set-up and scores posted just for winter fun. Get some targets and have at er.

Go on "Archery Talk" in the traditional section there is a long running thread "NFAA 20 yard scores" started by Centershot that has tons of good info by some very good archers. The thread is 62 pages long and is now found on page 3.

Best out of two 18 meter 300 rounds today was 218. Was shooting my samick journey, 30lb limbs, off the shelf. My 500 spine arrows with 175 gr tips are not flying very well but they hit the spot. Tried my opponents 600 spine arrows with 175 gr tips and they flew like darts, can't wait to get my new black eagle outlaws in 600 spine. Anyone else have a score to post?

I picked up a new bow on Thursday but only got to shoot 3 arrows at the fellows house. 18 meters 2 arrows touching in the 10 ring and the 3rd in the 8... Don't kniw when I will have time to shoot again. Things are getting busy for me again.

Nice. That would average out to 280, top notch!!! My best 3 arrows were two 9"s and a 10x at 28 pts and my worst was 12.

two weeks ago after getting my new 600 spine arrows set up I shot a 203 then a 226 two days later, best yet! Been dealing with some neck and upper back issues and had to lay low after that score, but now I'm back at it. Getting ready for first bare bow 3D shoot.

I was going to shoot on Monday but got busy... I also partially tore my tricep While snowmobiling on Saturday

Well I took up your challenge today...sort of. I shot the NFAA 300 today at 18 metres. I made up a 40cm. target last night with scoring rings of 5,4,3,2,1. There were twelve rounds of five arrows each for a total of 300. I shot outside, but under cover.

I used my old Howatt #36 recurve bow with Gold Tech Trad carbon arrows with 4" feather fletch. They are starting to look a little ratty. I gap shoot, using three under. I do use a draw check (Clickety Klick). If my arrows were close or touched the line, I scored them the lower score. I ended up shooting a 226/300.

What were my experiences? Well, I am not in good bow shape to shoot sixty arrows at one sitting. The bow arm started to get a little shaky and scores went down in the eighth to tenth rounds. I even shanked one totally off target in the eleventh for a zero. Also after the eighth round, I realized that I was grouping too high and should have been aiming a little lower, but I was too slow or stupid to figure that out earlier. All in all I was pretty satisfied for my first attempt.

I struggled for years with target panic and took a course last October with Joel Turner. I credit his system with turning my shooting around and putting shot control and joy back into the sport of archery for me.
    SD