Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So enfuriating.... BLACK BEARS GALLORE

Re: So enfuriating.... BLACK BEARS GALLORE

as for IDbefore you shoot-yes,and anyone who shot a ''huge'' bear only to walk up on a yearling lying there knows the sickening feeling....the size of a bear can be hard to judge-especially if they are closer than you think-the 200 yard ''huge bear'' shrinks when it turns out to be only 100 yards away.A quick rule is ears-if you can see prominent ears-its a young bear-no matter how ''huge'' it looks

No word of a lie...I know a guy who shot a porcupine because he was so excited about shooting a bear. He saw it in a ditch and shot it quickly, and realized it was a porcupine when he walked up on it.

The guy is a tool, and I find it funny as hell to laugh at the situation, but it just shows ya that things like this could happen if you're not careful.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr
    No word of a lie...I know a guy who shot a porcupine because he was so excited about shooting a bear. He saw it in a ditch and shot it quickly, and realized it was a porcupine when he walked up on it.

The guy is a tool, and I find it funny as hell to laugh at the situation, but it just shows ya that things like this could happen if you're not careful.....lol
    I bet it wasn't funny as hell to the porcupine

Probably not....

The guy is a true idiot....I asked him what he would have done if it was a cub grizzly or something different.....

That got his attention...but it shows that some guys just get really excited and dont ID targets before shooting....

Yeah, but we shot mostly the leenfield #7's... but i agree, that 300 win mag is a big boy gun. hopefully i'll grow into it.
    ________
    3 Series
    Last edited by Eichelherr; 02-07-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Talking Re: So enfuriating.... BLACK BEARS GALLORE

Quote Originally Posted by Eichelherr
    Yeah, but we shot mostly the leenfield #7's... but i agree, that 300 win mag is a big boy gun. hopefully i'll grow into it.
    The 300 Win mag is a Ladies Magnum........

I'm sure you'll do fine

cool vid's thanks for sharing.
    I do agree with the others on here that suggested that you find an expierenced hunter to show you the ropes.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Eichelherr
    On a different note, I've never beleived that you can 'grow into' a gun....guns that are too big for the shooter just cause him/her a lot of grief, bad habits, flinches, etc, etc.....

JMO..

so if you shoot a .22 you can't grow into a bigger gun?? sure ya can!

by the way 300 win mag aint that tough, im sure he can handle it

Derp....you read that all wrong...go back and read my post again.....

What I posted is that I dont think a person can buy a gun thats too big for you and grow into it by shooting it....

I think that its better to start small, get good basics, and understand how things work well and learn to handle recoil slowly.

Start someone out on a 338 RUM and they simply wont grow into it....

I'm sure he'll handle the 300WM fine as its not a giant cartridge......I was merely pointing out my opinion on starting with a gun and trying to 'grow into it'.....just my opinion as I dont think its the best way to do things....