Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Building a walk in smokehouse

Re: Building a walk in smokehouse

That's great info 338, thank you!
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    K thanks, will check out the generator idea!
    I'm not too conserned about creating heat, more looking to get into the curing of meat not the cooking. Temps have to be kept 12-22C/52-71F for cold smoke.
    Hot smoked is all good for a meal but not ideal for preservation. Still has to be frozen after for shelf life. I would think a little woodstove plumbed in seperate would heat a very large area easily to 86F/30C for hot smoking? Sure cooks the outfitter tent out in a hurry!
    I am in the middle of building a curing chamber to cure various ground and whole muscle meats. Humidity is a big factor as well as temp, when curing meats.
    Perhaps a thought is to keep your curing and smoking in separate units?

Cant wait until I have my chamber dialed in...first thing to go in is prosciutto and then some salami...

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by 338Schulz View Post
    Your idea of cold smoke is a good one,I build a few in my days and found that staying away from metal works the best for cold smoke moisture is deadly and condensation builds bacteria which you don't want.The best one I had was a little square house 8x8' with a tiled floor all wood walls (fir) 2x10 vertical with 1/4"gaps between the board and fly screen covering the gaps,stainless steel beer keg cut in 1/2 lengthwise placed in the center on the floor used as a fire pit this way the smoke would just hang inside cool depending on material used to fire. I found hardwood sawdust mixed with solid hardwood worked best,the gaps between the boards would let out the smoke and let in fresh air and give you a nice clean smoky flavour without the pungent taste.These type of smoke houses have been used in the Alps for hundreds of years and are still in use today
    After smoking is completed let the product in there for several weeks depending on temperature ond let the air breeze through the gaps.Fish should be taken out asap.
    Good Luck

Would you have any pictures or drawings of the types you are speaking of?
    Thanks
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

I have some pics but they are in storage as I have recently moved I do however have a picture in a book and when I copy it I will pm you and send it to you