Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a walk in smokehouse

Building a walk in smokehouse

Want to build a badass cold smoker on the property. Purchased a book on how to and has some plans I'm throwing around. Was thinking of something along these lines but 4 times the size.

Any info on subject would be greatly appreciated. Recipes included
    Don't want to break the bank building it, would be stoked to keep around $500 but $1k prolly more likely?
    Also have a heavy duty campstove that could be used instead of the brick fireplace? All kinds of room to build one, was thinking of using a useless bank behind garden to have stove and run piping or why to supply smoke up to house. Main use will be for more traditional cold smoking, drying curing etc., shouldn't be hard to supply heat source to hot smoke if need be.
    Thanks
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Building a walk in smokehouse

What are you planning on smoking? I would think the intended use and product would dictate design.
    I was born at night... but not last night.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

The one in the pic looks like all the heat and smoke goes through the box , maybe not much for heat control ?
    Am looking into the similar idea , am considering using metal studs and old roofing tin for the room and an old wood stove for the smoke generator.
    Had thought of using a thermal switch for heat control operating a vent or louver , with a fan if needed.
    Lots of ideas and plans
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

The pics I posted are of A smoker I built out of an old fridge I can cold smoke with it. Using a pid I can control my smoker temps to within 1 degree of what I set them to. This size units will do 16 sockeye. Any questions just ask.

A First Nations buddy of mine has one - it must be 8ft X 8ft square and about 12 ft tall, it works really well - I think he mostly cold smokes all his fish though - (that's a big area to heat up for hot smacking)
    I have walked in the footstep's of elephants, heard lions roar and met the Cape buffalo on his own turf - I'm blessed to be born African - And proud to be a Canadian!

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
    What are you planning on smoking? I would think the intended use and product would dictate design.
    Literally everything I can fit it the smokehouse. I get my 30 Chinook salmon every year, have some deer rump roast's put aside, pile of ground deer/elk meat also put away for treats. Like to raise some pork eventually and do my own hams/bacon, chickens from the neighbor, spring beat hams hopefully, cheese. Prolly some other stuff I'm forgetting but you get the picture.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Want to build a badass cold smoker on the property. Purchased a book on how to and has some plans I'm throwing around. Was thinking of something along these lines but 4 times the size.

Any info on subject would be greatly appreciated. Recipes included
    Don't want to break the bank building it, would be stoked to keep around $500 but $1k prolly more likely?
    Also have a heavy duty campstove that could be used instead of the brick fireplace? All kinds of room to build one, was thinking of using a useless bank behind garden to have stove and run piping or why to supply smoke up to house. Main use will be for more traditional cold smoking, drying curing etc., shouldn't be hard to supply heat source to hot smoke if need be.
    Thanks

Try the smoke meat forums on Google great place to start, I just posted my smoker build with a really slick smoke generator under frankensmoker. tried everything
    and will never use anything but the new type of generator to produce smoke they work great!!

I don't know what your planning on smoking in a smoker that size but heat could also be an issue..
    Last edited by OOBuck; 12-21-2015 at 01:23 PM.
    Don't worry about a pandemic, stupidity is spreading way faster

K thanks, will check out the generator idea!
    I'm not too conserned about creating heat, more looking to get into the curing of meat not the cooking. Temps have to be kept 12-22C/52-71F for cold smoke.
    Hot smoked is all good for a meal but not ideal for preservation. Still has to be frozen after for shelf life. I would think a little woodstove plumbed in seperate would heat a very large area easily to 86F/30C for hot smoking? Sure cooks the outfitter tent out in a hurry!

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    K thanks, will check out the generator idea!
    I'm not too conserned about creating heat, more looking to get into the curing of meat not the cooking. Temps have to be kept 12-22C/52-71F for cold smoke.
    Hot smoked is all good for a meal but not ideal for preservation. Still has to be frozen after for shelf life. I would think a little woodstove plumbed in seperate would heat a very large area easily to 86F/30C for hot smoking? Sure cooks the outfitter tent out in a hurry!
    Most smoked sausages have to reach an internal temp of 156 and then they can be frozen again..
    Don't worry about a pandemic, stupidity is spreading way faster