Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunting Jacket

Re: Hunting Jacket

Hey Stix
    The pants didnt shrink, the gut got bigger
    Hunt with your eyes...save your legs for draggin....

i wear a browning gortex jacket. and usually i'll wear a fleace liner or a sweat top under it. thats my favourite hunting jacket. it's not heavy, so it lets movement, but has lots of pockets and protection from the elements.

depending on the weather. I find that most hunters tend to over dress and are steaming to remove clothing after a halfhour of walking through the woods (or wherever there hiking to there favourite spot).

Try 3 Vets out West 8th and Yukon. They have the canadian made wool cruiser jackets for $175-225 and if you talk to the right ppl and they like you, cash prevails. Doesn't hurt to go a little after noon when they are compiling the lunch orders and offer to drive either. Wink wink nudge nudge.

I dress for the weather. Wool/cotton for campfire/cooking. I wear coolmax/spandex/polypro/hot chili/dri-fit items as a base. Fleece goes second, lightweight 1st and a second heavy if cold. Third layer is a Northface shell, no lining. Topped with German version of CADPAT.

Layered like this you can peel it all off down to your base if working thru deadfalls in the sun, packs up into a softball size for the pack. No crinkley noise from gortex, relatively water proof, lightweight, modular. I have been complaint free down to -37C dry conditions, and rainstorm turn hailstorm to about -10C.

I just gave my cruiser away, too tight. I don't like wool in the rain or when covering lots of ground (sweat or freeze).

I thought wool was windproof until I started hunting from a tree stand. I have a wind proof jacket I bought from Wal Mart but I keep it in my pack until I absolutely need it. Simply, it makes to much noise for bowhunting.

My first layer is polyester sweats bottom and top and the top has a hood which I can pull over my head if need be. I also carry an extra sweat shirt in my pack in case it gets really cold I add it as an extra layer. If really cold and windy I will wear nylon track pants over the polyester sweats, tree stand hunting only. For the rest of my upper body I have a nylon lined polyester vest and if need be I reluctantly put on the wind proof breathable jacket. I have a red and black Mackinaw coat which was very good but a few pounds extra rendered it a little tight.

I have seen guys hunting in clothing which makes me shudder for if they were forced to spend a night or two in the woods in incement weather they might very well end up in a bad way.

I found a wool jacket at Canadian Tire this week [Columbia sportswear] 1/2 price. Got it for $64.00. It has the map pocket in back, two front pockets with hand warmer and a small pocket chest hight, good for GPS or radio. BCKID
    Stay between the ditches/I like my TRUCK
    Once you hit 50 you don't have to justify anything you want to buy!!

I`m too poor to buy fancy gortex stuff.I wear a long sleeve t shirt,gray wool shirt ,and one of those army green Ironhorse lined work coats(huge pockets)and long johns,and wool logging pants (gray)Bonus is it`s actually really effective camo as well.Go figure?
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

I start with polar fleese long johns, wool pants from army surplus store(grey),i wear a thin camo shell over those from wally world. Upper i wear an undershirt, Green wool army sweater from the surplus store, and a camo jacket from wally world over that. When its really cold i wear another camo jacket over the first camo jacket from wally world.

My quad does most of the hard work so my sweating is usually minimal.