Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Sigt In Distence

Re: Sigt In Distence

Will the same wieght broad head shoot the same as a field tip bolt ,at the same yardage ???. I am afraid to shoot the montec broadhead ,because they are coastly if i missplace my shot and damage the head.

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Will my broad head shoot the same as my field tip using the same grain at 30 yards ????. The reason i don't want to use my montec broadhead is there so coastly.
    Wayne - Your grouping at that distance should be the same.....that is if you get 4 or 5 inch groups with field tips, you should get the same with broadheads.

It's a matter of how far apart the two groups are that counts. You may have to adjust the scope a tad just to bring the two groups closer together - that's only if the groups are more than 4 inches apart.

I haven't shot or even handled a crossbow so I'm working by-guess-and-by-golly mostly here. I would seriously suggest that you take at least two broadheads and shoot them with your field points so that you know where the two tips hit the target. You can always sharpen the Montecs after.

Hey Wayne , I agree with BowWalker inregards to at least trying a couple of broads along with your field points . At 20 yds there should be no problem and any difference in grouping will be evident .
    One more point to consider . Those two broadhead bolts should be kept for practice and confirmation . I suggest you take a file and desharpen the blades for less penitration and easier pullout .
    Good luck.....

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Rainwater Guest

Great Group!

Bowwalker ,how much will my bolt drop from dead center at 30 yards compared to 40 yards ????
    Wayne,

The answer to this question depends on your FPS (do you know for sure what you are shooting?), this chart is from the Excalibur site, and is based off of your 275 FPS, click here to see the chart for yourself.

As you can see 275 should be sufficient enough for Elk at 50 yards as long as your shot placement is true I use the information gathered from charts like this to estimate my arrow drop from long range, as you can see 50 yards drops 35 inches, and is far from a flat trajectory.

Will the same wieght broad head shoot the same as a field tip bolt ,at the same yardage ???. I am afraid to shoot the montec broadhead ,because they are coastly if i missplace my shot and damage the head.
    Don't forget you can buy Montec practice G5's that will fly and weigh the same as their razor sharp counterparts. A little more costly, but not as costly as ruining a hunting head .
    Last edited by loki; 05-29-2007 at 04:40 PM.
    Good trader rating from Jessbennett The others seem to be lost in the original thread deletion.

Smile Re: Sigt In Distence

Well i put the bullet with the montec broadhead in the bullseye at 30 yards yesterday ,there was no difference between the field tip and the braodhead in drop page

Bow Walker Guest

Looks like you're good to go Wayne. Don't forget your camera...

I thought he had a robin hood it was so close to the field point !
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Quote Originally Posted by BlacktailStalker View Post
    I thought he had a robin hood it was so close to the field point !
    i won't be doing the shooting Andy ,you will ,i am only the back up person that will be doing the buddy system calling.