Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigt In Distence

Bow Walker Guest

Re: Sigt In Distence

Pupper....good answer, just what I would've said.

Wayne....

It's like knowing where your rifle hits if you're dialled in for 100 yds and you aim at something 200 yds away. You've got to know where you're hitting in case the animal isn't standing exactly 30 yds away.

Broadheads do act differently than field tips. Get your X-bow set up for hunting and shoot the broadhead (you only need one ) until you know exactly where they are hitting at 20, 30, and 40 yards.

It'll take probably 4 phone books to stop your broadhead. You can then re-sharpen it and hunt with it.

Good luck
    Dan.

I grabbed a peace of star foam that is 14 inches deep ,they are what holds up warfs ,i am going to dobble them up so there will be 28 inches deep ,will my broadheabs pass though the bouth of them ???.

Bow Walker Guest

From at least 20 yds you should be OK.....you might have to dig for your bolt though.

Hey Wayne , If it is the foam I am thinking about you will not have any problem with pass throughs. You will have difficulty in pulling out the bolts and a shaft lub would help...

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

So what Excal did you buy? Phoenix, Exocet, Max, etc?

As Eagle 1 said there is a crossbow scope made to fit your crossbow, either called the Vari-Zone, or the new Lumi-Zone. The lumi uses fiber optic to light up your crosshairs with ambient light for poor light condition, but the Vari Zone gathers light well enough for all conditions I've been in.

With these scopes I sight the middle crosshair for 20 yards, and I then have 10, 20, 30, 40, and the unethical 50 yard hairs. The scope has little triangle hairs along the center line for each range. The other thing this scope allows is to sight to the FPS you are shooting. My recommendation is to always leave it 10 FPS below than what your chrono at, as it leaves room for wet string conditions or other variables. All other decent scope abilities are built in as well, rear optic focus adjustment, horizion and vertical adjustment (with crossbows in mind, 1 click = 1 inch at 20 yards, or something like that, I'm not looking at it at the moment), etc.

Otherwise, I'd suggest the old rear pip 2 front pip sight system you'll see in the owner video. It's rifle style and allows for quick yardage adjustments, 10 - 50 yards. Only thing this thing doesn't have is light gathering ability, which sucks, but if you have got good eyes you're laughing.

If you're wanting to keep your sight I'd say once sighted the difference of 10 yards = 1mm above or below your hair, very minimal. I guess it also depends on the power of the scope as well though.

Hey Wayne , If it is the foam I am thinking about you will not have any problem with pass throughs. You will have difficulty in pulling out the bolts and a shaft lub would help...
    Agreed. I use a furniture polish on the first 3 inches of the bolt, makes retrieval a breeze. Do not let any lube, polish, or whatever get onto your power side/serving, = BIG ouchy.

Really after the cost of new shafts, vanes, broadheads, the cost of a decent target is worth looking into. All you have to do is blow through two boxes of bolts to have paid off 2 bag targets (my shooting friend just learned this the hard way). I'm still using my original set, and shoot into a Block 4x4, and retrieved my broadheads from it easily as well.
    Last edited by loki; 05-16-2007 at 11:26 PM.

Smile Re: Sigt In Distence

I have no proublums sighting in this cross bow ,it is just like sighting in your gun. I will be shooting it all weekend long so will keep you up to date on how i did when i get back from my camping trip.

Red face Re: Sigt In Distence

Well,,,, i put new string on the xbow ,,,it is wear the bolt rests against the string ,,,had a hell of a time treading it on ,,,a archery shop told me how to do it ,but i kept snapping the darn string trying to pull it through when i was at the end to lock it. Don't know what you people out there call what i just did ????

Yeah it's called a mistake .

Are you using the stinging aide? Or trying to manually string with good ol elbow grease?

Cross bow stringing aide video

(If it doesn't load for you watch your ownership DVD)

If you're using elbow grease be careful to only apply pressure to the limbs and not the body. You will warp and strip the bolts otherwise.

So what model Excalibur did you buy? .:Curious:.
    Last edited by loki; 05-17-2007 at 03:41 PM.

I bought the Vixen ,with a tasco 4 power scope ,i bought it from someone on this forum.

A Vixen? I already have a good idea from previous posts, but what exactly are you hunting again?

Allow me to link you to some model choice charts, clicky here. And the model specs charts, clicky here and don't forget the ballistics performance chart based off of the average Vixen FPS.

Review those charts and you may find that you have purchased the wrong bow for your game of choice. I'd have my doubts if a Vixen can take an Elk beyond 20 yards, Whitetail and Muleys yes, Elk are questionable.

Don't get me wrong, the Vixen is a sweet bow. But it lacks the kinetic punch downrange for large game. Don't forget, just because it says 285 FPS on the box is not a guarantee of bolt speed. These conditions were with Flemish fast flight strings, 400 grain bolt, at 20 yards, and most likely indoors or in perfect weather. All of this adds up to mean that your average Vixen shooter is throwing bolts downrange at around 250 FPS. Of course get yours chronied, so you can better make judgement.
    Good trader rating from Jessbennett The others seem to be lost in the original thread deletion.