Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your best funny story about hunting, camping or fishing

Your best funny story about hunting, camping or fishing

Any humour writers here on HBC?? I will start this thread with one of my favorite experiences on a hunting trip.

One of the most memorable moose hunting trips I ever had was at Babine Lake north of Smithers. I had drawn a limited entry tag for a bull moose that year.

My friend and hunting partner had a cabin at Smithers Landing. We would usually team up with another group of hunters from the lower mainland who owned a cabin a few doors down the lake from us. We would keep in touch throughout the year and plan to go to Babine for a week or 10 days for our annual hunt.

Our hunting always involved pre-dawn trips by boat to remote areas several miles from the cabins. We would be dropped off individually or in pairs and we would return to the drop off point around noon. The afternoons were reserved for camp chores like gathering firewood and potting a few grouse or trout. We would leave camp again around 4:00 pm for an evening hunt somewhere across the lake.

It was mid October and we were at the lake about a week before the general open season. The weather was quite miserable, cold and wet and windy. After a few days of hunting our local favorite spots with no luck, the group from the other cabin decided to head up to Morrison Arm and camp overnight. It started to snow as they headed up the lake.

I will spare you the details of the group being charged by a grizzly and sleeping on the boat under a canvass awning in the snow. To add further bitterness and misery, one of the parties consumed a quart of vodka and passed out. Tempers flared and friendships were severely strained.

The following day, the weather moderated somewhat and by mid afternoon the skies cleared and the thermometer edged toward double digits. My hunting partner and I had returned to our cabin around 2:00pm and were sitting out on the deck having a bit of lunch when we saw the crew from the other cabin returning from Morrison Arm. As they motored past our cabin, waving and yelling to us, we could see that they had all 4 quarters of a moose in the boat with them.

We wandered over to their cabin and helped them unload and we gave them a hand raising a large tri-pod from which to hang and skin the quarters of the moose. They were a pretty happy bunch and the successful hunt had gone some distance toward erasing the dissention amongst the crew. As luck would have it, the moose was standing on shore about 3 miles from the cabin as the crew was returning home from their night of misery.

We were invited over for supper that night and we gladly accepted the invitation. As we arrived we noticed that all 4 quarters had been skinned and wrapped in cheese cloth. A big blue tarp had been draped around the upper half of the tri-pod to keep the rain off of the meat.

During supper, the individual who had consumed the bottle of vodka the previous night became rather nostalgic. He described hunting trips from years past and illustrated how the times had changed with Limited Entry hunts and shortened seasons.

In the middle of his tales and yarns, he excused himself for a minute to go outside to water the lawn. About 30 seconds after he had walked out of the cabin, he burst through the front door, rushed into his bedroom and emerged with his old Cooey single shot 20 gauge and a fist full of shells. He rushed back outside while the rest of us sat there rather dumbfounded and somewhat curious. There was a brief silence and then a shot.

During the years I hunted at Babine Lake, I was always impressed with the amount and diversity of wildlife in the area. We had seen wolves, grizzlies, black bears, wolverine, marten, moose deer, porcupine and all kinds of water fowl and upland game birds. However, there was one small creature that does live around Smithers landing that I had been unaware of up until the firing of that fateful shot.

As we sat in the cabin wondering just what the hell was going on, the fellow with the shotgun entered through the front door. He did not need to say anything. We all knew instantly what he had shot at, and missed. What he learned can be described several ways.
    Let sleeping dogs lie.
    The more you stir it the more it stinks and if you keep stirring it you will get some on you.
    Do not shoot at skunks. (Especially if they are just wandering around inspecting your moose)
    Semper in excretum altum

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Your best funny story about hunting, camping or fishing

I traveled from home to my hunting spot was a 3 hour drive when I got out of my truck to head in to my stand set up I looked for my bolts there not in the truck ???? I forgot them at home LOL..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Oh god, I couldn't even think where to start. It seems that almost every second trip has some unexpected and usually chaotic story to go along with it. Only some are suitable for recalling in a public forum

Some of the funnier hunting memories involve bumping into a few of those out-back locals. You know, the ones where the encounter is preceded by some inexplicable ambient banjo sound?

As for fishing, I keep expecting that as we get older there will be fewer stories, and to some extent that's true, but I think my partners and I still get revved up enough about getting out there that we frequently experience some sort of fiasco.They usually involve spontaneity, fatigue, fast food, flatulence, lack of planning and/or preparation, occasionally ()some level of substance abuse, over-inflated expectations, lack of recognizing our (endurance) limits, sweet talking the wives because we are leaving after just having returned from some other outing, and the list goes on.

I'm sure most members have some doozies too. I look forward to hearing them

Some of the funnier hunting memories involve bumping into a few of those out-back locals. You know, the ones where the encounter is preceded by some inexplicable ambient banjo sound?
    isn't that the truth
    Or flash backs to Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by Looking_4_Jerky View Post

I keep expecting that as we get older there will be fewer stories, and to some extent that's true, but I think my partners and I still get revved up enough about getting out there that we frequently experience some sort of fiasco.They usually involve spontaneity, fatigue, fast food, flatulence, lack of planning and/or preparation, occasionally ()some level of substance abuse, over-inflated expectations, lack of recognizing our (endurance) limits, sweet talking the wives because we are leaving after just having returned from some other outing, and the list goes on.
    That list just brought a couple dozen memories flooding back. I'll parse through them and see which ones are printable but I think many fall into the 'you had to be there' category. I can remember coming home with a belly sore from laughing but without the bugs, mud, cold and other forms of suffering the stories often didn't translate.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

A few silly things, but one fishing trip will go down in infamy. My girlfriend at the time and I went camping at a fishing resort up North. We pull in and begin setting up camp. I pull out the tent, only to find out that the poles were not with it. I had lent it at the end of the previous season and when he packed it up he had stored them separate. I always store them together, and had totally forgot by the time Spring rolled around. Oh well, just sleep in the back of the truck like I do when I go alone I think. Not having to set up a tent saves us some time so I decide to hit the lake. Now a very important part of this is my GF had never been in a float tube before so she was pretty nervous. Another very important part of this is that lake bottom has a very high Iron content. When you stepped into the shallows and started kicking you were immediately in a cloud of red water, I mean RED. It looks like one of those scenes in a shark movie only worse. My GF freaks, not going to happen. Fair enough, we go to the lodge and she wants to rent a paddle boat because it is cute. Fine. We go for a paddle and all is good until the rope used to tie the boat to the dock gets wrapped around the paddles and we are stuck. We are close to shore and after a short conversation I jump out and pull it ashore to clear the rope. I guess I forgot to mention that one of the reasons that this lake is so popular for fishing is the leeches. My feet are covered. Fortunately most haven't attached yet so I can just wipe them off. We get back to the dock and I decide to go make lunch. I am assembling the stove and and go to pressurize it and the O-ring blows. That is it. I am done. We leave, but to this day I get a Christmas Card from the resort owners and they remember me when I go back every couple of years.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Boys figured they'd try to float entire elk down to a bridge a few km downstream. You can see the lack of freeboard, the river gets bony right around first corner. Canoe flips, both elk halves end up at the bottom in 10 ft pool. Boys manage to salvage gear/horns and canoe on shore. Hr or so of casting climbing rope with a rock for a lure and 'big game fishing' has an entire new outlook.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

A buddy and I were hunting up on Pike mountain for Mulies in 1997. I was driving down a side road in about six inches of fresh snow with not a track on it when my buddy asks me to pull over because he needed to take a leak. I pull over, buddy jumps out, turns away from the open passenger door of the truck and starts to do his thing. As buddy is just about finished I hear someone from the other side of him say "nice cock" and then he breaks out laughing! Buddy lets out a yelp and dam near rips his junk off trying to stuff it back in his pants! I look out the passenger door and there is some dude in snow camo laughing his guts out about ten feet off the side of the road.

Turns out this dude was hiking down through the timber when he came to the road and that was why he hadn't left any tracks on it. When he got to the road he sat on a stump to take a break and watch for deer in both directions. Then we drove up and he wondered how good the snow camo was so he just sat still thinking we would drive by. Well, we didn't and he couldn't believe it when we actually stopped right in front of him and buddy got out and took a leak. He said he was actually not going to say anything but when buddy started working it like one of those accordion goose calls to get the last drops out he figured he had to say something as he couldn't miss an opportunity to embarrass the hell out of somebody like that!

What are the odds? True story.

OK this one goes back a little over 30 years ago.

5 of us go on a fly in fishing trip to Wylie Lake in Northern Alberta.
    Myself and one of the others were fairly serious about the fishing, the other 3 not so much.

The two of us had one wall tent and the other 3 were in the other at the fish camp.
    We were always up and on the lake fairly early while the other guys slept it off and slept in.
    Prodigious amounts of booze and a goodly amount of wacky tabacky, good time had by all.

Third day in and the wind blows us all off of the lake just after noon.
    Before flying in the camp operator had warned us to take a rifle as there had been bears visiting the camp. As it turned out some genius before us had buried their fish guts around the camp.
    By the time darkness and dinner came we were well into it. Kitchen area was surrounded by tarp walls for the wind with an unbalanced picnic table right there. So a squirrel decides to use the tarp as a runway to get between trees. The noise snapped us all to attention except one of the guys was pretty well gone and didn't react too quickly. Perfect opportunity for the other four of us to jump up and start yelling "BEAR"!! Well that unbalanced picnic table went over right on top of Bruce. He's pinned by it and yelling and screaming because he was sure the bear was going to start chomping on him at any moment. I've never before or since seen a group laugh so hard. Just one of those scenes etched into your mind, still brings a chuckle when I think of it.
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I was bow hunting the first week of September up past Oyama Lake many years ago and stopped by
    King Edward Lake to shower and have lunch. The east end parking area is hidden from the road so
    I thought I had a good spot to leisurely bathe. The lake is quite narrow at that spot with a rocky
    shore on the other side. I was just about finished when I heard someone cough. Looking over I saw
    a man and woman sitting amongst the rocks with big grins. What can you do...I just waved, turned
    around and toweled off. Didn't invite them over for lunch though.
    Was hunting the same general area early one morning and was trying to get close enough to a band
    of deer, including a buck, as they fed up a shallow draw. Every now and then I would lose sight of them
    as I quietly stalked along. This one time after losing them I heard something making it's way toward me.
    As it got closer, I could hear faint singing. I stepped behind a tree and waited. Pretty soon a ranger
    came along and was singing "How much is that doggy in the window" in a loud voice to his heart's content.
    He was oblivious to my presence, and just as he was about to pass me I said "Good morning!" in a loud
    voice. He just about had a heart attack I scared him so bad, and he couldn't speak coherently because
    he was so embarrassed.