Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fields are frozen, interior of BC is frozen, where are all the ducks?

Fields are frozen, interior of BC is frozen, where are all the ducks?

Ok, I know this isn't a forum that gets a lot of advice posted, but I'm hoping someone smarter than me can fill me in a bit.

I started waterfowling a couple years ago, but spent a lot of time at it last year. All self taught with a couple good books and a lot of time on some of the other waterfowl forums.

About a year ago I noticed that when the fields are frozen and the interior is cold, the marsh seems to have more ducks active during the day, presumably because they have nowhere else to go. My only limit so far was on a clear blue frozen day like today.

I went out early this morning expecting a busy day but saw fewer ducks than I usually do. There were plenty roosting that we scared up on our way to our spot but once day broke we only saw about a dozen ducks. I'm going back to the same place where Dale suggested I start last year. I'd guess it is about 900 yards from the boat launch, not deep in the marsh.

Advice? Are they still on the move from the interior? Should I be deeper in the marsh? PM welcome if preferred. I only hunt weekdays, btw, so I won't add to the crowds on the weekends.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fields are frozen, interior of BC is frozen, where are all the ducks?

We've noticed the same thing in our fields. A week and half ago..........hundreds everywhere. Since about Tuesday last week, they have declined to almost nothing, and to not using one shell on Friday or Saturday. Same with the geese. Packed up and left? Be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks.

This time last year we were still shooting ducks here in Quesnel. We have been out the last two Sundays and nothing. The beginning of the season was great with shoots ending in limits of ducks and the odd goose, but it seems when October rolled around they had disappeared. We thought it was the resident birds moving on and we had to wait for the northerns to come down but they never materialized. Strange year.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live!!!!!

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

The wife, dog, and I went for a walk on a Dewdney dike this mid-morning and saw huge
    flocks of ducks and geese on some of the adjacent dairy farm fields despite the high winds,
    frozen grass, and water. The winds were so strong one of the flocks of geese which were
    within normal gunning range above us didn't seem to be hardly moving at all.
    (you'd have to lead by 20 ft to hit the last bird in line, lol!)

I'm finding the fields out here are slow until about 10-11am, once they warm up the birds are arriving in droves, however the fields here are not frozen yet, I think they are staying on the water until there is some heat on the fields, maybe try starting your hunt later in the morning, seems to be working out here

Thanks guys, I'll head back out tomorrow and see what shakes loose. I'll plan to stay a bit later and see if there is more movement.

I appreciate the inputs.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Went out yesterday morning and this morning till about 10 both days. Again, not a shot fired. The geese seemed to be flying in good numbers today though. Also, came across this article today. Not sure if it has anything to do with lower numbers, but interesting none the less.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ford-1.3339808

Been out the last 2 days, on crown land, both days me and my friend got our limits, all mallards, lots of ducks out in the Fraser valley, some flocks are gettin pretty uneasy about mojo's already. Where we are the morning hunt is good, I was quite suprised that between 10am and 2 pm we got a lot of action on the second day as well.

Good of luck and hit em hard

When all the fields get frozen. Then my father and I would take fishing rods and shotguns. The ducks would be hold up in the corners of the slough that has no wind. And the cutthroat and coho fishing was awesome. Shooting a duck that landed on the other side of the slough. Well it sucked swimming across in your ginch. Done that a few times.

Swimming in you BVDs during duck season is never a good experience Mr. #1, that is why we have retrievers.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!