Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV trapping prices

TV trapping prices

I don't trap, but watch shows about trapping etc.
    Yukon men, Yukon trappers, mountain men..
    what is the actual price of a fur? one show say "this coyote pelt is worth $400" another show says a marten is $40, and another says the marten is worth $200.
    sitting on my couch with the fireplace on... I think " I wanna go do that! $400 per coyote??"

This cannot be the price. I heard through the grapevine that a coyote is worth $40 at best?

why do they contradict each other? whats the actual price of fur??
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

2. Site Sponsor

Re: TV trapping prices

I think the prices may fluctuate on a yearly basis, one year the prices skyrocket, while other years not so good but then I'm no expert by any means so......

I would imagine that the condition of the fur and how the trapper has taken care of it would reflect the price as well ??
    Last edited by Sleep Robber; 11-21-2015 at 10:10 PM.
    Leave the gun, grab the cannoli's.

The prices stated in these TV shows are generally the top price paid for a very few pelts of the highest quality. The averages for any species is usually much lower. For example in the Mar/Apr 2015 NAFA sale the top price paid for a few marten pelts was $315 with the average being $96.50. And yes pelt handling and preparation has a lot to do with the price one receives for their pelts.

Those trapping shows are bs. When I watched one last night I noticed all the animals werent frozen when they pull them out of the traps. Hahahaha. Something doesn't seem right. Doesn't your pee freeze before it hits the ground up there? I don't have a lot of experience trapping but I do have my trapping licence I thought the show was full of shit

Its TV. made for entertaining uninformed masses. 400 for a coyote! **** me, maybe the whole pack. Do yourself a favor and turn that shit off man, the cheese that comes out of discovery, history, nat geo etc sadly is so far removed form what they once were they are now worse than unbearable. There was a show called "trapping inc" on wild tv that was good, home filmed, informative, good knowledgeable guests, showed it all from setting to skinning, zero drama. good stuff, and by far a much better depiction of trapping, let alone reality in general.
    Last edited by J_06; 11-23-2015 at 03:47 PM.

This thread should probably be moved to the trapping sub forum... but ya, it's a lot of BS

As others have said already, prices vary year to year, and with condition, and top price does not equal average price

Marten have consistently been the bread & butter of northern traplines (common, easy to catch, valuable)
    other species vary quite a bit over time (lynx, beaver, wolf/coyote, fox, muskrat, etc.)
    some species are more valuable when sold to taxidermists than when sold in the fur market (wolverine, ermine)
    Last I heard, muskrats were going for $7-$12. They were always $3-$5 when I was trapping decades ago

Most disturbing to me is when they show those yahoos making & checking sloppy sets. The by-catch of birds must be crazy the way they trap....

I know this is an incredibly stupid question but please forgive me.. I'm very new to hunting and know nothing about trapping.. But I'm super curious.. What do trappers do with the meat?

Thanks for your patience..

The bulk of my trapping is marten,mink and beaver so most of the marten and mink carcasses get chucked back in the bush but some get used for bait. All the beaver meat is used for bait and can be used for human consumption but I have not crossed that bridge yet.

http://www.furharvesters.com/auctionresults.html

PDF downloads available at link.

http://www.nafa.ca/

Never heard of these guys, but it's in Vancouver. http://www.manta.com/ic/mtq08r7/ca/w...tion-sales-ltd
    Last edited by Surrey Boy; 11-24-2015 at 10:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Oh ok. Thanks for answering!