Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Butcher - Ron Brown - Mission Meat Shop

Re: Butcher - Ron Brown - Mission Meat Shop

I took my first deer in to a butcher and was a little skeptical of what I got back. I've done every animal since. It's alot of work and I've had some late nights butchering them, but i'm 100% satisfied that I used every part of the deer. All the bones go into the smoker for my pup.
    Many people don't realize the damage and meat loss from a poorly placed shot.

first few years I hunted here I would use a butcher but he was my brothers father in law and did an awesome job...his double smoked pepperoni was to die for...sadly, he moved away so I used Ennis a couple of times with varying level of satisfaction (they did a great job on a half cow moose I brought them but I was not so happy with the pepperoni I got back from a doe a brought in as it was obviously buck meat and it was spiced mild when I requested hot -they obviously don't separate individual animals very well in their smoker)..my current hunting partners are all set up with a nice big band saw for steaks and a grinder for burger so we do it all our selves..the only thing that would make me happier with the results would be to learn to do some sausage but if that is the only red meat I buy all winter I can live with that..

I take all my game to Ron Brown. Only have great things to say about him. Hes an excellent guy, super accommodating, and does a fantastic job. Not mention makes beautiful sausage.

I've done 5 animals on my own, only ever taking the meat to a local guy who only does sausage and burger, when we've wanted cuts like steaks and roasts we've just done it ourselves. It's not difficult, everything is already sectioned off by muscle group you just gotta get your hands in there to cut it out. Our 2 moose this year cost us $40 to butcher. $25 for 40 lbs of burger, and the rest for butcher paper, tape and a sharpie.

guest Guest

Giddy up ........ Do it your self. I've been doing it for fourty plus years now. The only time we don't is when there has been larger parties and several animals to butcher, we've done all deer, elk , moose, sheep , goat, bear and even bison.

Just do it !
    Last edited by guest; 11-19-2015 at 10:40 AM.

I recently took my first year deer to Ron he took it at 5:45 on a Sunday after a certain cutter whos company starts with S was rude enough to loose my business. Wasn't the biggest deer and a through and through the lungs there was some loss but his standard cut landed me and a buddy about 25-30 pounds each. But when we split it up .. No tenderloin so I made it out to reception and gave him a call he politely explained that when you have a smaller animal sometimes he will just do them as chops. Take it for what it is the guy has ALOT of business on his hands.

Can't understand why anyone would take an animal to a butcher with the tenderloins and backstraps still in place. It literally takes only minutes to remove them. Plenty of DVD's or YouTube stuff to show how it is done. Processing a deer is not that big a job. Buy a piece of cutting board material around 4 feet by 5 feet from a plastic shop, put it on a couple of sawhorses and have at 'er. Moose are a bit tougher, but if you use the gutless method in the field, tenderloins and backstops will be in a game bag before you get back to camp, as well as four hideless quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagonmaster View Post
    Can't understand why anyone would take an animal to a butcher with the tenderloins and backstraps still in place. It literally takes only minutes to remove them. Plenty of DVD's or YouTube stuff to show how it is done. Processing a deer is not that big a job. Buy a piece of cutting board material around 4 feet by 5 feet from a plastic shop, put it on a couple of sawhorses and have at 'er. Moose are a bit tougher, but if you use the gutless method in the field, tenderloins and backstops will be in a game bag before you get back to camp, as well as four hideless quarters.
    Yup - tenderloins and backstraps are easily removed while the animal is hanging..

In this case, the Big Z could have started a little higher - but at 13 years old, he's well on his way to saving a ton of money and heartache by learning to process animals on his own.
    Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    To post pics on HBC:

1- sign up for a free account at www.photobucket.com
    2- upload your pics to your album on photobucket
    3- click on the pic you want to post on hbc
    4- copy and paste the IMG code (bottom of 4 choices) into your thread on HBC
    5- thank the Coach

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    In this case, the Big Z could have started a little higher - but at 13 years old, he's well on his way to saving a ton of money and heartache by learning to process animals on his own.
    And honor and thank the animal for the truly awesome gift of delicious, healthy meat.
    Last edited by Xenomorph; 11-19-2015 at 01:32 PM.
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand

I have no interest in butchering my own game. No space/ no time.
    I do may part and take great care in how I handle the animal from when it is shot to when I drop it off at butcher.
    Field dressed and hung right away. Hide off as soon as possible. Kept cold and taken to butcher cooler asap.
    Trim anything that I can and remove all hair.

With a new butcher I will ask what he recommends for cuts. If it is left to me just burger, roasts and tenderloin for deer. Sausages or other from time to time.
    I did have a butcher once who said "no steaks?" I told him no thanks I find them gamey. He said if you would like to try, I will cut "best steaks".
    I only got a few but they were damn good. Just the best cuts.

Remember you will be charge to Butcher the animal and then on top charged to process as well as any other meat cut in, if you are getting sausages ect...
    Processed meats are not cheap so don't expect to get a huge savings from store bought. Just a hell of a lot better for you.

If you don't like a Butcher. Don't go back.
    You will find one you like and trust.

My 2 cents.