Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Butcher - Ron Brown - Mission Meat Shop

Re: Butcher - Ron Brown - Mission Meat Shop

If there is anyone in the lower mainland that cuts their own meat how or where do you hang it. My hunting partner were discussing this. It would be great to butcher your own but need to hang it

Quote Originally Posted by crazy ducker View Post
    If there is anyone in the lower mainland that cuts their own meat how or where do you hang it. My hunting partner were discussing this. It would be great to butcher your own but need to hang it
    we butcher it right away. No need to hang IMO

Hanging meat to "tenderize" is a myth. I dont have anywhere to do it, I dont do it, and my deer meat tastes the same or better than that of friends.

What hanging time it gets in camp is more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy ducker View Post
    I'm thinking that he means " I need to find a space to store it for a couple days before I have time set aside to cut it up " As I think this is the issue most guys have that live in the lower mainland. they get home form an trip, temps are warmer than where they were hunting, they need to put there gear away, get back to work/life etc... and then they would deal with the game later on if it was stored safely for a day or two. [ that's the situation that I'm in anyways ]

Quote Originally Posted by srthomas75 View Post
    I'm thinking that he means " I need to find a space to store it for a couple days before I have time set aside to cut it up " As I think this is the issue most guys have that live in the lower mainland. they get home form an trip, temps are warmer than where they were hunting, they need to put there gear away, get back to work/life etc... and then they would deal with the game later on if it was stored safely for a day or two. [ that's the situation that I'm in anyways ]
    Same problem that I had. Got myself a spare fridge in the garage, and now when I get a deer, I cut it into 5 pieces and toss it in. Then I work on one piece a day until it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by last light View Post
    Same problem that I had. Got myself a spare fridge in the garage, and now when I get a deer, I cut it into 5 pieces and toss it in. Then I work on one piece a day until it's done.
    Smart^^^^^^ I had a friend who had a spare fridge in his very small home just for this reason.

Great Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    Wow, where do I start? And how far can I go with it?

I’m backing away slowly...
    WOW, I'm trying to learn something here and then I read this stuff, come on let's be civil,
    I'm backing away fast.

I wish! Between my car, bike, quad and all the hunting and fishing and camping gear and one deep freeze, there is ZERO room left for another fridge/freezer lol

Quote Originally Posted by digger dogger View Post
    Im pretty sure Rusty, don’t do the weed!

It does sound good on paper, but I’m sure there’d be a few fingers lopped off here and there.

It’s actually pretty easy to butcher your own animals, but it takes a lot of time.

I can butcher up a duck, like the butchers do, but time is money to me, so I let the pros do it!
    thanks brother, LOL! no weed for me... but i do get Gates thought on the band saw and liability issues. im seriously considering converting a 20' shipping container into a self contained butcher unit with a 8x8 cooler on one end and the rest of the space with stainless benches and equipment including sink, i've been buying up used commercial equipment and have most of what i need at this point, just need to set it all in place.

As for hygiene twoseven0, have you looked inside some of the butcher shops?...no thanks

i really enjoy the whole butchering process, for me its all part of the hunt, having a dedicated place to do the work and keep the house clean is appealing.
    Last edited by xfactor; 11-26-2019 at 06:39 AM.