Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smith River Falls

Re: Smith River Falls

Ive got pics but packed away after we sold our house a couple yrs back and their not handy.A camper shouldn't be a problem as Scout says the road has been improved.Its a haul getting in there tho.Make sure your self contained and have 2 spares,i always did.
    As was mentioned the G-bears can be beligerant in there as well as the blacks.Liard river hotsprings had a serious mauling some yrs ago.I have a relative in FT nelson who's boss was there the day it happened...google it.It was just a small old black bear that did all the damage.
    Scoot did you ever hear anything about "Trapper Ray" @ Liard river wonder if he's still alive?

takla

[QUOTE=takla1;1709833]Ive got pics but packed away after we sold our house a couple yrs back and their not handy.A camper shouldn't be a problem as Scout says the road has been improved.Its a haul getting in there tho.Make sure your self contained and have 2 spares,i always did.
    As was mentioned the G-bears can be beligerant in there as well as the blacks.Liard river hotsprings had a serious mauling some yrs ago.I have a relative in FT nelson who's boss was there the day it happened...google it.It was just a small old black bear that did all the damage.
    Scoot did you ever hear anything about "Trapper Ray" @ Liard river wonder if he's still alive?

I have lots of pics from years ago, but just "regular" pictures, nothing on my computer.
    Shouldn't be a problem getting in there with a truck camper, but I wouldn't pull a "travel trailer".
    As with any areas up north that are "out there", make sure you are self sufficient, prepared, etc. If you get hurt or stuck, it's an expensive and not always successful return trip. And yes, the bears can be pretty damn grumpy!

Not sure about Ray takla, but I believe he passed a few years ago.

....and FYI gathto, if you head up that way, stop in at Jack's place (Double G service).....he's a grumpy old sh*t but he makes the best breakfast around!

When I came south through there this fall , it looked like Double G is closed and for sale ? Was in the middle of the night , so not sure.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    When I came south through there this fall , it looked like Double G is closed and for sale ? Was in the middle of the night , so not sure.
    Closed up at night, and he's selling lots in the "back forty", so that's why there's a "for sale" sign up.

I'll call and check when I get a chance though...

My favorite memory of "Trapper Ray" was pulling in there to fill up with my trailer and quad behind my truck and ol'trapper comeing up to fill us..takeing his goddam sweet time as always,I turned away to get something from my truck cab for a couple minites and caught him rifleing undernieth my tarped trailer to pinch what ever he had his eye on..lol
    When I called him on it he immediately swung one hand around and dug deep into his butt with all four fingers and started scratching...was nervous manorism I supposed...He also had a very lazy eye that made one nervous..
    Was much like a scene from the movie "Diliverance"

takla

takla

Quote Originally Posted by takla1 View Post
    My favorite memory of "Trapper Ray" was pulling in there to fill up with my trailer and quad behind my truck and ol'trapper comeing up to fill us..takeing his goddam sweet time as always,I turned away to get something from my truck cab for a couple minites and caught him rifleing undernieth my tarped trailer to pinch what ever he had his eye on..lol
    When I called him on it he immediately swung one hand around and dug deep into his butt with all four fingers and started scratching...was nervous manorism I supposed...He also had a very lazy eye that made one nervous..
    Was much like a scene from the movie "Diliverance"

takla

takla
    He was "different" for sure, but a legend on the Hwy, with an interesting and well deserved reputation .
    Good guy though.......
    Typical of many who lived, and still live up there.

Surely was a different time,and the charactors who inhabited those "tradeing posts" all along the Alaska Hyway were colourful to say the least.
    Lovely country,great hunting,and some unique caractors livened up all our trips up north!

ps some of those old sets of antlers in my avatar pic come from Smith river

takla

Funny you say like a scene from deliverance. We stopped for fuel one year in Won O One and bought the movie.
    Now every year when we come out of the North Country we play it on the way home..

I know this is an old thread but what the hell....

I'm heading up that way next week and am planning to head in to West Lake.

Has anyone been up there lately? If so, what's the road like?

Thanks!

M

Hi ScoutIt1:

Have you made it back yet? How's the road?

Mid-October can be winter up there.

I was planning to check the area out next summer as a "camping/fishing" trip before the season opens.

Let us know: thanks for bumping the old thread.

G