Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Deer Hit on Hope Princeton..What to do?

Re: Deer Hit on Hope Princeton..What to do?

A peace officer has a lot of discretion in most cases and while most would see the logic of someone shooting
    an injured animal in a time, manner and place not likely to be unsafe, there are a few out there that would make sure
    you were really sorry for your well meaning, humanitarian efforts. If you don't know the peace officers likely to
    attend, or learn of your actions, I would advise caution. There are those out there who like to push the rules, if
    necessary, to punish "offenders." The process is the punishment, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    No no I practice a lot I'm a good shot
    Ha Ha thats a good one

About 30 years back while traveling the highway near Grand Forks I came across a couple stopped vehicles and a young buck with a busted back end struggling in the middle of the road. I pulled out my truck gun, told the people to step back and safely dispatched the suffering buck. Drug it off the road and drove away. The people watching were all in shock over this, but, they all knew it was the right thing to do.

Seriously? So you'd pull out your rifle on a highway and shoot an injured deer as people drive by? Obviously you're a Conservation officer, because that's the only people that are allowed to do that. The moral thing would be to end its suffering, the legal thing to do is to call a C.O. and tell him/her the situation. They'll occasionally let you take the animal, but don't assume you can take it. A police office generally does not have the knowledge to dispatch an animal properly. Call the RAPP # and get a hold of an officer, any other option can lead to all kinds of trouble.

Pretty funny. In a lot of cases, the response will be a matter of days, not hours.
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because you agree with it"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Many years ago while driving a company truck with logos all over it, I came upon some stopped cars
    and a very badly injured and busted up raccoon that a lady had hit with her car. I took out a big heavy
    bar and asked the witnesses if they had a problem with me humanely putting it out of it's misery. All
    were in favour...except the emotionally distraught lady that had hit it. She was hysterical and wanted to
    bundle it up and take it to a vet hospital which was many miles away. The situation became very heated
    between that woman and all the other witnesses. I had to walk away because of the logos on my truck.
    I expect that coon likely died on the way, but even if it made it to the hospital no vet could have saved it.
    It probably suffered for quite some time needlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    Many years ago while driving a company truck with logos all over it, I came upon some stopped cars
    and a very badly injured and busted up raccoon that a lady had hit with her car. I took out a big heavy
    bar and asked the witnesses if they had a problem with me humanely putting it out of it's misery. All
    were in favour...except the emotionally distraught lady that had hit it. She was hysterical and wanted to
    bundle it up and take it to a vet hospital which was many miles away. The situation became very heated
    between that woman and all the other witnesses. I had to walk away because of the logos on my truck.
    I expect that coon likely died on the way, but even if it made it to the hospital no vet could have saved it.
    It probably suffered for quite some time needlessly.
    That's horrible. Some people are just to emotional. Poor racoon

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybuffalo71 View Post
    Seriously? So you'd pull out your rifle on a highway and shoot an injured deer as people drive by? Obviously you're a Conservation officer, because that's the only people that are allowed to do that. The moral thing would be to end its suffering, the legal thing to do is to call a C.O. and tell him/her the situation. They'll occasionally let you take the animal, but don't assume you can take it. A police office generally does not have the knowledge to dispatch an animal properly. Call the RAPP # and get a hold of an officer, any other option can lead to all kinds of trouble.
    Only took ya about 1.5 yrs to respond. March/2018

Once on campus at Bcit in Vancouver there was a bunch of commotion and people gathered. I went over and crows were attacking/pecking at two baby birds on the side walk. The baby birds bodies were mangled and torn apart, part of the neck hanging off the other. I told the people I will put them out of there misery because they were suffering and going to die. So I did it, then the bcit guard eventually arrives and writes me up for it saying it’s a warning and if next time I’d be kicked out lmao. Needless to say I was pissed off at him and told him to get lost.

If you call the local co. You can ask for a pass to keep the animal You don’t have to punch your tag But you have to butcher it your self And can’t give it away. The co will come to the animal if he/she is near by and deal with it Bang bang. Or they can say no leave it It’s best to call first!!! If the animal is 45feet 15m off center line on most highways in bc shoot it .Just make sure you are not on a 400 m shooting zone highway