Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer Hit on Hope Princeton..What to do?

Re: Deer Hit on Hope Princeton..What to do?

Had same situation happen on Chilliwack lake road with a doe....rcmp told me to dispatch if safe and wait by the body....cop showed up and we drug it a ways into the bush after he took pics and that was that

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    I think you just got lucky
    No no I practice a lot I'm a good shot
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Been there, done the right thing. Problem is the only legal thing you can do is not do anything except report it. Use your judgement, be safe, do the right thing.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Sharp knife to the neck. Then call it in. Thats what I would do.
    x2 that is what i would do as well

Major rule that stress hormones and adrenaline make it unfit for human consumption.
    That sounds like BS, most deer shot by hunters that live longer than a second with their hearts intact will have stress hormones coursing through their entire body. Hell all the animals in the factory food meat system are awash in stress hormones before they die. With a road accident deer I would be more worried about the guts being smashed and tainting the meat than 'stress hormones'.

um um for the hounds. say nothing

My wife hit a moose just 100 yards from our driveway a few years ago. She broke it's hip and it dragged itself off of the highway. I was at work when she called me. I then called the RCMP first to ask if she could put it down (she hunts and is very adept with a rifle). The RCMP told us no we could not shoot it we had to call the CO and get them out to dispatch the Moose. I called the local CO, who I knew personally, and he gave us permission to shoot it. He was in bed (10:30pm on a Sunday night) and almost an hours drive away. He said it would be much more humane for us to put it down. I asked him what would happen with the meat, I was expecting to be asked to field dress it and take it to be butchered to give away to the needy, but to my surprise he asked me if I wanted it. I said yes and he replied that he would issue a permit for me first thing the next morning. So for the low cost of our $200 insurance deductible we had a freezer full of Moose! There was nothing wrong with the meat. We only lost about 20lbs of meat in one hip due to bruising and blood.
    A few years later, I again reported a doe hit, to the RCMP. I did not ask permission to shoot it as I did not have a firearm with me. There was a constable in the area, he arrived in about 10 minutes and with three shots from his side arm he dispatched the doe. I was told by the constable to sit in my car until he was done, I was not allowed to be anywhere near him when he fired his sidearm!
    BC RESIDENT HUNTER AND VOTER!

Had a friend hit a deer and when he reported it the RCMP officer asked if he had a gun and to put it down if he could.. which he did.

If the animal is still eatable, I'd say try to kill it as humanely as possible, then if you can, take it home and butcher it up so it doesn't go to waste. But, that's Illegal, the "Legal" thing to do is watch it die slowly and painfully on the cold pavement, then drag it off the road way into the ditch, phone the CO's and they'll leave it there until it rots. If any of the meat is eatable, there's always some one up here that can use the meat, so very few animals lay in the ditch up here to rot. Legal or not, it's the "Right" thing to do. And Slow down at night!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    Do not take the deer home and eat it. It's illegal and inedible!

in the UK where deer hunters can sell to butchers they have to go through strict meat handling training. Major rule that stress hormones and adrenaline make it unfit for human consumption. One time I was coming back from a deer hunt in England and we came across an injured deer by the side of the road. Guide took a knife out even though he had a silenced rifle! I asked if he would use the carcass... He said it would get buried, not even fit for feeding his dog.
    This is wrong. The meat is still good. I have eaten animals that were wounded hunting, hit by cars and trains, etc. , all quite stressful situations for said animals. still good.