Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer Hit on Hope Princeton..What to do?

Re: Deer Hit on Hope Princeton..What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by rudysteelhead View Post
    Here is where the problem lies.... illegal to discharge firearms within certain distances of center-line of marked hwy, illegal to shoot an animal and not cancel a species tag. Even with a knife or other object, you are still harvesting the animal. I would hope that if RCMP or CO'S show up they wouldn't give you to much hassle. We all know what we would do in that situation. Reporting is good option as well
    I don't see a problem. It's called extenuating circumstances!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Bonk it on the head, rather than shoot, as others said.
    Knife would be 2nd option.

I'd shoot it. Worst case, drive over it. I'd never try and club it or cut it's throat.

If you had a firearm, shoot it. Probably wouldn't do that if there was a bunch of looky lou's watching though
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    I don't see a problem. It's called extenuating circumstances!
    Agreed, but there is a problem... Legal or moral??. Like I said, 'We all know what we would do'.
    Rudy >oOO'>

The police and Co's shoot them in this situation.

bandit is offline Passionate pointer parent

Do not take the deer home and eat it. It's illegal and inedible!

in the UK where deer hunters can sell to butchers they have to go through strict meat handling training. Major rule that stress hormones and adrenaline make it unfit for human consumption. One time I was coming back from a deer hunt in England and we came across an injured deer by the side of the road. Guide took a knife out even though he had a silenced rifle! I asked if he would use the carcass... He said it would get buried, not even fit for feeding his dog.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    Do not take the deer home and eat it. It's illegal and inedible!

in the UK where deer hunters can sell to butchers they have to go through strict meat handling training. Major rule that stress hormones and adrenaline make it unfit for human consumption. One time I was coming back from a deer hunt in England and we came across an injured deer by the side of the road. Guide took a knife out even though he had a silenced rifle! I asked if he would use the carcass... He said it would get buried, not even fit for feeding his dog.
    Why do you say inedible?
    Too much stress hormone?
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Had this very problem just east of Hope heading westbound and I guess a lady had hit a blackbear, we were coming back from hunting in Princeton and this bears hip is hanging out and blood everywhere and it can't get over the barriers on the highway........so I grab my rifle and walk over to it and it scrambles over the barrier so I give it a pain killer to the head......I no sooner put my rifle back in the truck and a cop pulls up and hops out of his car with a shotgun, he was shaking so bad he could hardly talk, I tell him what took place and ask him if he wants to see the bear and he says no no thats good....thanks for doing that and leaves........he wanted no part of looking for that bear !!!

So as long as its safe to do so I would dispatch the animal.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Had this very problem just east of Hope heading westbound and I guess a lady had hit a blackbear, we were coming back from hunting in Princeton and this bears hip is hanging out and blood everywhere and it can't get over the barriers on the highway........so I grab my rifle and walk over to it and it scrambles over the barrier so I give it a pain killer to the head......I no sooner put my rifle back in the truck and a cop pulls up and hops out of his car with a shotgun, he was shaking so bad he could hardly talk, I tell him what took place and ask him if he wants to see the bear and he says no no thats good....thanks for doing that and leaves........he wanted no part of looking for that bear !!!

So as long as its safe to do so I would dispatch the animal.
    I think you just got lucky
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach