Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Deer Hit on Hope Princeton..What to do?

Re: Deer Hit on Hope Princeton..What to do?

It's extremely difficult to "wack" an injured animal on the head if they aren't near dead already. They are over flowing with adrenaline and trying to escape if they can, once they see some crazy human coming at them with an axe they go bezerk if they can. They may seem dormant but they'll give it all they have - usually at the last moment. Not to mention the huge traumatic event it is to actually kill some large creature with your own hands, and watch them die, most people would be haunted with guilt ridden memories. Then there's the real possibility of an injury - either getting kicked, gored or bitten by the animal. Or even worse stabbing yourself or hitting yourself with the axe if the animal flinches just before you make contact. Some guys may be able to dispatch an animal with a knife or axe but I would say most people couldn't. If you see an injured animal on the road the only option for a quick humane kill is with a firearm. The RCMP will do it but when they discharge their sidearm they must go through a $hitload of paperwork, the CO's are usually unavailable for a timely visit to each roadway episode. I spent too many years traveling the roads of BC late at night and early in the morning, I've had the unfortunate luck of hitting deer and one horse and been at the site of countless other one-sided collisions, I carry a 30-30 or a 410 with slugs in my vehicle for the exact purpose of roadside assistance ( I find a 22 is often too small to do the job on a large freaked out animal). I avoided witnesses when possible or ask the bystanders to walk away while I do what must be done, and I've never reported these incidents unless the authorities were already involved. I've never myself collected the meat but there have been times when others have. In my experience more animals are wounded and leave the roadside to suffer than actually stay at the scene. In most cases these collisions are/were unavoidable, but the advice of slowing down and being attentive at dawn and dusk is your best defense.

Been there, done that. No cameras please, and wait for a break in the traffic.

You can get a permit to collect road kill. If you don't have one at the time call the local CO and they will tell you how best to proceed. If you do dispatch it please drag it far off the road way as to not cause more accidents once the predators arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger View Post
    x2 that is what i would do as well
    If its got antlers and life left on it this would be kinda dangerous IMO. I would shoot it and end it's suffering and move on.

One of my work crews was coming out of bella coola after a couple week work shift. There was 3-4 work trucks in a row heading out together. Just outside bella coola one of our 5 ton truck clipped a couple deer. One was struggling with a broken back.
    Had no weapons. Smoothbor got out and clubbed it with a long bar. Brutal but put it out of its mysery. He is hardcore.

Here’s an animal probably hit by a car that appears dead.
    Surprise!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...g#Post12707802
    Last edited by mpotzold; 03-12-2018 at 11:01 PM.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Legal thing to do is take it home when it is dead.....if ya have trappers licence,,some people have it ..

About 10 years ago I came across a woman that hit a deer on the 5 north of Princeton, she was pretty distraught and her minivan some good damage, but in any case she showed me the doe and it was suffering, there was the odd vehicle going by but at this point it was my morals that made me walk over and put a 22 in its head, I gave the woman my number in case the police asked then continued on to go to the lake... I did receive a call from the detachment just asking about the circumstances, he asked why I was carrying a rifle etc and once we were done he thanked me for my time and that was it..

About 6 years ago coming home from Pink Mountain we were just south of Windy Point and came across a chevy cavalier that hit a black bear, the front end was severely damaged, and the occupants were staying put in the car as they were freaked out by the bear, now the bear front shoulder was totaled and obviously other injuries but it just stood on the grass at the shoulder in pain, so we shot it and then helped the occupants move their car and then give them a ride back to Windy Point to use the pay phone as there was no cell service at the time...

So obviously don't go around shooting stuff but there are circumstances/morals that make you use common sense..
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    Been there, done that. No cameras please, and wait for a break in the traffic.
    Had a mule buck with a broken back in a choke hold this past April. Just as the school bus went by.

Whoops. They were bush kids though. They’ll pull through alright.

Personally speaking, I would wait till no witnesses and dispatch it. If there is a witness, ask if they are OK with dispatching the animal. If they take issue with it ask them to leave and call the authorities or sit in their car, When there is a break in traffic, dispatch the animal. Leave and call authorities with witness plate number. If there is more than one witnesses, let it go to a vote. Democracy rules. If after dispatching it, wait for CO's or RCMP and let them decide how to handle it after the fact. If they were stupid enough to charge you or were it me then I would like my day in court. One piece of evidence I will produce it a rat glue strip. On the back it says to dispatch as soon as possible. Now if it says that on a rat glue strip and an animal is obviously suffering then you did the humane thing. Call the SPCA as a witness too. You also did it as safely as possible. I'd go with extenuating circumstances. Speaking of which, Some years ago a person was stung by a wasp and had an allergy to it, They had been drinking and wouldn't ya know it they got an impaired charge. The judge dismissed the case due to extenuating circumstances. That defense can be used for multiple things.