Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Deer Hit on Hope Princeton..What to do?

Re: Deer Hit on Hope Princeton..What to do?

I will say that in similar situation, a deer with broken back beside a public road, I pulled out a rifle and shot the deer. Before I shot it, one bystander said, "It's illegal for you to shoot the deer". I said, "Bummer. Plug your ears", then shot the deer in the head. It was the right thing to do. Response time for a CO here is likely to be well over an hour with three hours being pretty normal and I felt I was just as competent to do the job as anyone else was likely to be so I did.
    A couple of years previously, I had run over a deer with my pickup and had to finish her off with a framing hammer. After that, I kept a rifle behind the seat most of the time for this sort of situation. GD

Where is the like button for this post?

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    That sounds like BS, most deer shot by hunters that live longer than a second with their hearts intact will have stress hormones coursing through their entire body. Hell all the animals in the factory food meat system are awash in stress hormones before they die. With a road accident deer I would be more worried about the guts being smashed and tainting the meat than 'stress hormones'.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybuffalo71 View Post
    Seriously? So you'd pull out your rifle on a highway and shoot an injured deer as people drive by? Obviously you're a Conservation officer, because that's the only people that are allowed to do that. The moral thing would be to end its suffering, the legal thing to do is to call a C.O. and tell him/her the situation. They'll occasionally let you take the animal, but don't assume you can take it. A police office generally does not have the knowledge to dispatch an animal properly. Call the RAPP # and get a hold of an officer, any other option can lead to all kinds of trouble.
    People with the thinking like you would create the all kinds of trouble you speak of. Do the right thing and end the suffering and carry on, no need to notify the whole world about. Lol

Cutting its throat with a knife might get you much more than you bargained for....its a wild animal and its not looking for compassion.

Legal implications of shooting it might get you much more than you bargained for too.

Calling the authorities and letting them deal with it is probably the best advice...unfortunate but a reality in this day and age!