Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The Badlands Buck

Re: The Badlands Buck

AB has hogs for deer and yours is right in there. Nice old timer Nog!!
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Your incredible story and pictures were far better than most hunting magazines! The body on the one you arrowed has got to be one of biggest Mule Deer I've seen! Unreal country, and Un-Real Bucks and Bull Elk, and you put together a fantastic thread for our enjoyment! Hell, you could sell this article! Thanks for taking us on a Bad Lands Buck Hunt!

Great read -thanks

Cool Re: The Badlands Buck

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    Still interested to know if there is a rifle season in the area that you were in Matt.

Most the rifle seasons that I've looked at in Southern Alberta all seem to fall in November so just curious if you can get a Muley with a rifle in that area while the ice is off the river of if you have to use a pointy stick.
    That area is indeed open during Rifle Season - by DRAW Only. Limited number of tags.
    That or engage the local Outfitter That's where the subsequent hunts / pictures came from.
    Most years the river is ice-free until much later than those rifle seasons run. Of course she will be dropping - creating some of the most hazardous conditions for navigation it can possibly produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    ... I dont know if you did your buddy any favours with some of the specifics, just saying.
    LOL! There have been a few who have attempted the challenge of that area, both on foot and by boat.
    The former soon learn just how BIG a country it is, and the extreme difficulty of not only getting anywhere close to a Big Buck, but getting him out of there should you manage to do so.
    The latter have left more than a few "carcasses" that used to be boats strewn along the river's banks. While it may look "placid" it is anything but! Even very skilled and well experienced jet pilots end up having their moments, and many a man / boat has been broken there as a consequence. Definitely NOT for the feint of heart, nor for anyone who wishes to keep their boat in "pristine condition". Look at the picture of my Buddy's rig - he Over-Built that one himself specifically for this stretch of river. Even so, it has been WELL beat and requires "surgery" each and every year.

Not too worried about gut-pile chasers in this instance. Btw, the cost of extraction grows exponentially the deeper you get into that area

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Up here in the peace counrty on the dirty berta side there are litteraly dozens of skinny water boats at every lauch all season long. Lots of ugly spots and they are just lining up to do it. More money than brains, lol! People are starting to take up walking again just so they can have something to themselves lol.
    Thanks again for sharing, very beautiful country! Did you fish at all?

Arrow Re: The Badlands Buck

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Up here in the peace counrty on the dirty berta side there are litteraly dozens of skinny water boats at every lauch all season long. Lots of ugly spots and they are just lining up to do it. More money than brains, lol!
    A handful have tried. Extremely few return

People are starting to take up walking again just so they can have something to themselves lol.
    LOL! Well... walking into that area, you certainly would realize THAT!!!

Did you fish at all?
    I didn't but my Buddy did (and does). Many species swimming there. We had Burbot one evening that was delicious! He also caught (and released) good numbers of Sturgeon, Walleye and Goldeye. A couple of the Walleye were right up there - well over 15 pounds.
    Gave him something to do while I was sitting in the blind...

We only saw one other group of hunters - they were seeking a cow elk (draw). Never did find out how they did, although from what we saw methinks that would not be too difficult a task.

We did see a couple other boats - both within a few miles of the very few launch sites.
    They were fishing, and both reported some success.
    Also saw the odd Bank Fishermen from time to time, so I guess there is something of a decent fishery being pursued in that river...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Awesome write up, thanks and congrats on an awesome buck!

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    He also caught (and released) good numbers of Sturgeon, Walleye and Goldeye. A couple of the Walleye were right up there - well over 15 pounds.

Those are big Walleye. The Alberta record was 15 pounds 8 ounces right up until last year when one over 16 pounds was recorded. Worth going there just for the fishing.

Very cool Matt, those are some freaking huge bucks...thanks for givin it up
    By the way shot a 20lb batch of the double maple breakfasts the other day...yumm