Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training collars

Hybrid View

Training collars

A question for the dog trainers and hounds men on here. What is the most reliable and longest lasting training collar in your opinion?
    Have tried any where from cheepy to 300+ and the longevity is lacking to say the least, as in less than a year. So if you guys would care to give your choices I'm all ears.
    Thanks in advance. Rob

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Training collars

I use a Dogtra collar for my dog and it has been good so far after 3 hunting seasons. Keep an eye out for a tritronics collar on Craigslist as I understand garmin has bought tritronics and the collars are not what they used to be. I bought mine used and so far so good. There are a few dog training forums out there that have a for sale section to keep an eye on as well.

Dogtra=500.
    Never had any issues with mine.

Dogtra, haven't had any issues. Bought mine from Amazon
    Fire up the grill - cuz huntin' ain't catch and release!!!

Tritronics offers range power and reliability. I gather since Garmin purchased the company the lower models are had a few teething pains but the pro series models didn't have any issues from what I could tell at trials. mine is a classic 70 exp unit that is pre garmin and I have been very happy with it , http://www.gundogsupply.com/tri-tron...ht-collar.html.

I think most of the companies have stepped up their game and produce good quality collar lines
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

I have an old Tritronics and it has been great however with Garmin buying them out I have heard from some very reliable sources that the products has gone for a big $hit, along with customer service. Dogtra seems to be the collar of choice for most of the pros, I personally have 2 and they seem to work great. http://www.dogtrastore.com/edgert.html http://www.dogtrastore.com/edge.html
    That being said I picked up a cheap Sport Dog when I needed a backup and it has done me no dirt.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Another vote for Dogtra, Tritronics have become a very poor third in the industry since Garmin took over, their customer service is worse than poor and they have stopped producing parts for the older collars in an attempt to force users into the newer (poorer quality) collars in my opinion.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

I've been using the same Tritronics collar for 8 years. No issues.
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

Quote Originally Posted by 1/2 slam View Post
    I've been using the same Tritronics collar for 8 years. No issues.
    Wait till you need service, the old ones are great collars as I said earlier mines probably 10 or 12 yrs old and got used LOTS, but since Garmin took over things have gone down hill parts for the old ones are not being made anymore, planed obsolescence.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Wait till you need service, the old ones are great collars as I said earlier mines probably 10 or 12 yrs old and got used LOTS, but since Garmin took over things have gone down hill parts for the old ones are not being made anymore, planed obsolescence.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.......

Avoid anything Garmin/Tritronics. They have stopped producing quality, long lasting products and have discontinued parts and service for their older units.

The Dogtra Edge RT is the only viable alternative for professional quality e-collars.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"