Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can a non hunter accompanying a hunter in the field?

Re: Can a non hunter accompanying a hunter in the field?

that isnt a letter that i read. you go to vendor and buy the initiation licence for the guest

Initiation Licence

The initiation hunting licence is a mentoring licence that allows a person, 18 years of age or older, who has never previously held a hunting licence in British Columbia, to try hunting for a one-year period.
    The requirements to complete Conservation & Outdoor Recreation Education and to hold a FWIDare waived for this one-time-only licence.
    The initiation hunting licence can be purchased at any Service BC office or local vendor. The licence costs $19.00 ($15.00 licence fee plus $4.00 Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation surcharge).
    To be eligible for the initiation hunting licence, a person:

• Must be a B.C. resident
    • Must be 18 years or older
    • Must not have held a B.C. hunting licence in the past, with the exception of a youth hunting licence
    • Must be under the close personal supervision of a licensed adult who satisfies the qualifications to be a supervising hunter

Supervising Hunter for an Initiation Hunter

A person who holds an initiation hunting licence must be accompanied by, and under the close personal supervision of, a supervising hunter who is 18 years of age or older and meets the prescribed qualifications. It is an offence for an initiation hunter to hunt without a supervising hunter.
    The prescribed qualifications to be a supervising hunter are:

1. The person must be a resident of B.C. and hold a resident hunting licence other than an initiation hunting licence (or be exempted from holding a licence)
    2. The person must have held a hunting licence in B.C. (other than an initiation hunting licence) or a licence to hunt elsewhere in not fewer than three of any of the licence years preceding the current licence year (or be exempted from holding a licence)
    3. If the person is an Indian residing in B.C., paragraphs (a) and (b) do not apply and the person must have received training in hunting and previously hunted lawfully without supervision
    4. The person must not be prohibited from carrying a firearm

If the holder of an initiation hunting licence is hunting with a licensed guide, item (b) of the prescribed qualifications does not apply to the supervising hunter.
    The supervising hunter may accompany no more than:

• Two initiation hunting licence holders at one time
    • One youth and one initiation licence holder at one time

Quote Originally Posted by NChunter View Post
    Who would I email or how can I get an official copy of this letter? My brother in law may tag along with me this weekend he's thinking of getting his core in the new year. thanks
    If your B.I.L. is not carrying a firearm then there is no issue at all and you don't need to carry any kind of letter with you. If he wants to actually hunt, then you will need the Initiation Hunting License. Of course your B.I.L. can only get an Initiation Hunting License if he is a BC resident.
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Slinky Pickle View Post
    If your B.I.L. is not carrying a firearm then there is no issue at all and you don't need to carry any kind of letter with you. If he wants to actually hunt, then you will need the Initiation Hunting License. Of course your B.I.L. can only get an Initiation Hunting License if he is a BC resident.
    Thanks. That was my understanding of it. I will be the only one with a rifle so I think we should be fine, I did I search on the subject and it seemed there was some stories of COs interpreting thing differenitly. I believe the letter at the start of this thread was a response from ministry official just thought it may save some hassle.

just email a c.o. yourself and get a copy of his words. mention where your going so you get the c.o. in that area. since we see them interpret stuff differently at times

Valid firearms licence is all you need to pack a firearm whether walking in bush or not. Until something is dead you are just walking around with your Legal firearm

but if you are with someone that is hunting then you are considered hunting .
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

A word of caution. Emailing a CO will give you one persons opinion. Not much different than on here. Until the moment you and your buddy encounter a CO and that CO makes a determination, you won't know where you stand. Not until you are in a court of law and testing it against the legislation. Ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    A word of caution. Emailing a CO will give you one persons opinion. Not much different than on here. Until the moment you and your buddy encounter a CO and that CO makes a determination, you won't know where you stand. Not until you are in a court of law and testing it against the legislation. Ask me how I know.
    Heh heh heh, love that last line JT

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    heheh..knowing the law doesnt always "impress" law enforcement...you know, like when an officer "says come with me", you can ask if you are under arrest and if the answer is "no" then you are free to refuse to go with them...if they then "touch" you you could be considered "under arrest" but if you ask them "what am i being charged with" they are supposed to tell you a charge but i was once told " oh i don't know, we'll think of something"...winning in court later doesnt change the fact that your night (or hunting trip) was ruined

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    ...winning in court later doesnt change the fact that your night (or hunting trip) was ruined
    Precisely my point. Ruined a hunt and took two years of uncertainty to resolve. I'm still hunting and he is no longer a CO.