Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can a non hunter accompanying a hunter in the field?

Re: Can a non hunter accompanying a hunter in the field?

Great info thanks.......

I stopped a CO yesterday to ask some of these questions.
    1.carrying a shotgun for protection while bow hunting whitetail deer during a bow only season. Cos discretion, he said if he were to come across someone "hunting" while carrying a firearm in a bow only season he would write them up.
    2. The definition of "experienced" hunter when it come to the initiation license. Co said, mentor Hunter must have held license for 5 years. 3 of which you must have filled big game tags. Birds are a different story though.

Quote Originally Posted by dustybeat View Post
    I stopped a CO yesterday to ask some of these questions.
    1.carrying a shotgun for protection while bow hunting whitetail deer during a bow only season. Cos discretion, he said if he were to come across someone "hunting" while carrying a firearm in a bow only season he would write them up.
    2. The definition of "experienced" hunter when it come to the initiation license. Co said, mentor Hunter must have held license for 5 years. 3 of which you must have filled big game tags. Birds are a different story though.
    Neither of these are really directly applicable to the topic of this thread. The thread is about someone who is not hunting joining a hunter in the field.

I'd be interested in what the legislation is that applies to the first point - does anyone know?

With regards to number 2, this definition is categorically false and takes away from the purpose of this thread as being a source for reliable information. From the government website (same info in the regs):
    The prescribed qualifications to be a supervising hunter are

• the person must be a “resident” of B.C. and hold a resident hunting licence other than an initiation hunting licence (or be exempted from holding a licence),
    • the person must have held a hunting licence in B.C. (other than an initiation hunting licence) or a licence to hunt elsewhere in not fewer than 3 of any of the licence years preceding the current licence year (or be exempted from holding a licence),
    • if the person is an Indian residing in B.C., paragraphs (a) and (b) do not apply and the person must have received training in hunting and previously hunted lawfully without supervision, and
    • the person must not be prohibited from carrying a firearm.

There is no requirement for having successfully filled tags in 3 out of 5 years, and no separate conditions for big game vs. birds. I'm guessing you're confusing the initiation license with Permit to Accompany where the BC resident who is accompanying the non-resident must have held (not filled) a big game species license for 3 of 5 preceding years.

This is true with the exception of using a dog. if a person is pusueing an animal with the use of a their dog and they are not a hunter then they are in violation .

so if I go out hunting with frank and his dogs (and I have my dogs and a license+firearm) and he is without a license and we strike a track and after a long pursuit we finally tree the jacaklope and a CO hears the commotion and happens to shows up at the tree at the same time ,watch out because here comes the violations ticketfest even though frank doesn't have a firearm.
    Last edited by Barracuda; 12-14-2015 at 03:25 PM.
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

it is a sad catch 22 cuz as a "casual observer" it is very difficult to prove you did not have an intent to kill wildlife (while appearing like a hunter) so they have to go with "if it looks like a duck"...

so just to be clear, if i have a buddy who wants to tag along for a hunt, and just help pack out game/or a friend who is interested in taking up hunting, am i right in thinking he can't even have bino's around his neck, because by the letter of the Wildlife Act, that would be considered "searching for" wildlife?

Quote Originally Posted by OneStevo View Post
    so just to be clear, if i have a buddy who wants to tag along for a hunt, and just help pack out game/or a friend who is interested in taking up hunting, am i right in thinking he can't even have bino's around his neck, because by the letter of the Wildlife Act, that would be considered "searching for" wildlife?

Had my dad with me and CO and I spoke. No issue whatsoever. My dad helped me gut, drag and load the bear. It was an intense day for other reasons, but there was no issue with him being a non hunter accompanying me.
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by OneStevo View Post
    It raises a good legal question as to whether assisting the hunter with the hunt counts as hunting (i.e. if your buddy is searching to help you kill an animal). One would think that in most scenarios, assisting someone to do something counts as effectively doing the act (i.e. think "aiding and abetting" or "parties to an offence" if looking at the Criminal Code). But how does that translate to assisting someone who is doing something legal, even if it's not legal for the "assistant" to do the act?

In theory, as it (i.e. a non-hunter accompanying a hunter) doesn't seem to be expressly disallowed, it should be considered to be permitted; however, it could depend on what the non-hunter does while in the field. There's definitely room for interpretation that it could be considered hunting to glass a cut looking for deer on behalf of the guy with the gun. If he's just hanging out with you and not doing any of that, then definitely no issue.

Probably best to ask the COs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Thank you for your email dated October 29, 2015, regarding a non hunter accompanying a hunter in the field.

Non-hunters that are not in possession of a firearm may accompany a hunter and the non hunter is not required to be in possession of a hunting licence.

The Wildlife Act definition of hunt is:

"hunt" includes shooting at, attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following after or on the trail of, stalking or lying in wait for wildlife, or attempting to do any of those things, whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed or captured,

(a) with intention to capture the wildlife, or

(b) while in possession of a firearm or other weapon;

If an individual is doing an activity that is captured in the definition of hunt they are required to possess all appropriate hunting licenses. Many non-hunting people participate in the activity of hunting; if the accompanying individual is not meeting the definition of hunt (i.e. is not in possession of a firearm or other weapon) they would not require a hunting licence and may accompany a licensed hunter. People that are in the field and not in possession of a firearm or other weapon (and do not intend to capture wildlife) would not be meeting the definition of hunting and would not require a hunting licence.

A non-hunter may accompany a hunter on their hunt and observe, there are no regulations against that, in fact it is encouraged that hunters mentor and initiate non-hunters into the sport. The non-hunter can assist in packing harvested wildlife out of the field, however ensure that the licensed hunter accompanies the meat at all times unless the non hunter is in possession of a completed “record of receipt for transporting wildlife”, found on page 24 of the 2012-2014 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis available online at http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...g/regulations/.
    Who would I email or how can I get an official copy of this letter? My brother in law may tag along with me this weekend he's thinking of getting his core in the new year. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NChunter View Post
    Who would I email or how can I get an official copy of this letter? My brother in law may tag along with me this weekend he's thinking of getting his core in the new year. thanks
    NC hunter what?
    North Carolina?
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach