Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Sleeping with your rifle in your tent?

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Re: Sleeping with your rifle in your tent?

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlt1 View Post
    Always tent with a buddy. Make sure he goes to sleep in his tent before you do.
    Once he's asleep open a can of tuna on the far side of his tent.
    Costco sells tins of tuna cheap.
    Even with a fresh can every night you're looking at less than 20 bucks for a week long trip.
    Best bear insurance out there.

Just kidding of course
    When kids, my brothers and I used to camp in the timber by Rolley Lake. We wouldn't use the
    campground built for the city slickers. Our great grandfather had the lake named after him because
    he had homesteaded by the side of the lake, so we country ragamuffins considered them and the
    campgrounds intruders and would go out of our way to scare them at night. We would bring along
    tins of sardines in oil, pour the oil all over a rotten stump, and then drop the sardines into the hollow
    center. You could hear the bears growling and carrying on during the night as they tried to get those
    sardines. Our camp was set inside a massive windfall above the trail to the falls, well away from those
    stumps, so we never were bothered by anyone or the bears. If I could re-wind the clock, I would do it
    again just to see how scared those city campers would get.

All these stories have got me scared LOL. I often just take my Hammock in the woods - Not much room for rifle in there and they say another word for Hammock is bear Taco :{

guest Guest

I always have mine ready on self pack in hunts if remote hunting, came in handy on a sheep hunt in a couple of the GO territories when Grizz game in twice, scary but still here to remember it all to well . but also at my side ever since the allocation BS started over a year ago. The lazer beams and red dots had me concerned. Now with gun at bed side even at home ....... I just fire toward any intense beam ....... Worked so far
    Last edited by guest; 02-17-2016 at 10:52 PM.

All these stories have got me scared LOL. I often just take my Hammock in the woods - Not much room for rifle in there and they say another word for Hammock is bear Taco :{
    Just lay it on a tarp under your hammock.

I sleep with my rifle in the tent. I am not paranoid I am just cautious. The clip is loaded and in the rifle but nothing in the chamber. In the wild predators are always looking for an easy meal. I do not want to be an easy meal.

All I'll add is for a camp gun get a light for it, for instance in camp I have my 870 with 00buck first then slugs...first shot in the face to mess with it's sight and smell, then slam slugs into the bear. Brownells and other places sell a light mount that mounts to the front of the mag tube, and keeps the powerful gun light to the left of the fore-end. Push the button in the light's base that faces you with your left hand, and it turns on...then shoot after you've identified the target! I really like the 14" open cylinder barrel I got from Dlask Arms in Delta for the 870, makes it very handy for camp use...
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

Quote Originally Posted by Walksalot View Post
    I sleep with my rifle in the tent. I am not paranoid I am just cautious. The clip is loaded and in the rifle but nothing in the chamber. In the wild predators are always looking for an easy meal. I do not want to be an easy meal.
    I do the same....

In a tent my rifle will be loaded and ready.
    Vegetarian.. ancient word for poor hunter...

At my side loaded, Safety on.