Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping with your rifle in your tent?

Re: Sleeping with your rifle in your tent?

When I'm camping close to my truck my rifle is locked inside but my defender shotgun sleeps with me loaded to the teeth,(not one in the tube). My rife shoots 1 30cal. bullet my shotgun shoots nine from 1 shell, only 1 180gr. bullet from my rife, almost 2oz. of lead out of my shotgun each shot. Not much of a contest at close range.

Question - sounds like most of you wait quietly in tent waiting to see if bear wants to join you. Is this considered best, or is the get out and investigate, or make some noise option best?

I like to sleep at night so I just do that and if something comes to eat me I shoot it in the face

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    I like to sleep at night so I just do that and if something comes to eat me I shoot it in the face
    LOL! Best advice yet!
    Drinking rum before 10 a.m. does not mean you are an alcoholic, it means you are a pirate.

Bahahahha Amen to that....too funny but very true

lets see..1 yr big bear,not sure if it was a griz or large blacky bit into the side on my wall tent and tried pulling me outwards in my sleeping bag /another time we were back in camp after an late evening hunting and just got dinner started on the 45 gal oil drum stove and a large black boar charged from behind and beside the tent,shot and killed a couple from the tent entrance/another time we were comeing back to camp after the morning hunt to see a large boar pushing over the tent and tearing it up at around 11 am in the morning.. another dead boar this one over 400 lbs/another time we had shot a bull and my dumb asz brother was cooking /eating fresh backstrap and throwing bits of fat into the fire,large black came into camp and tore shit up ....yup..guns always loaded ,Knives stashed everywhere.it could be a life and death deal realy

takla

takla

Having bear spray in your tent is a bad idea. Sure you might get the bear to re-think being in your tent by spraying him but the bear will be gone and you will feel like you are on fire. Bear spray is naaaasty stuff. Oh and if you are so unlucky as to spray your wife with that stuff......well I'll bet you would rather have a grizzly in there with you.

Keep your gun close but keep your wife closer. Good luck.
    "Gun control"...... is hitting what you aim at!!!!

To the guy who mentioned Brambles, I'm pretty sure he would have got a bullet into the bear, as he bad the barrel stuffed into her ribs and pulled the trigger, but nothing happened. Forget if it was the safety or the bolt wasn't closed as it's been quite some time since I read his and Rattlers story.

Personally, I always sleep with a loaded rifle in the tent; round chambered, but bolt lifted and slightly pulled back. Not into blasting holes in my Hilleberg, shooting at sounds, so the rule is, sit/lay at the ready until it is close enough to touch with the barrel.

Always tent with a buddy. Make sure he goes to sleep in his tent before you do.
    Once he's asleep open a can of tuna on the far side of his tent.
    Costco sells tins of tuna cheap.
    Even with a fresh can every night you're looking at less than 20 bucks for a week long trip.
    Best bear insurance out there.

Just kidding of course

Quote Originally Posted by Citori54 View Post
    Same as thedougler , shotgun with 00buck, slug, 00buck. The most experienced shot gunner sleeps closest to the door of the tent with the shot gun ready. Nobody else in the tent has a ready firearm....don't need shots in multiple directions in a panic.

Hopefully the bear uses the door !