Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping with your rifle in your tent?

Re: Sleeping with your rifle in your tent?

Well if you are going hunting with your wife and sleeping with your rifle, your wife might get a little jealous.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I sleep with my rifle beside me no bullet in the chamber. Keep a headlamp or flashlight handy as well.

The most important thing I do is rub bacon grease at the bottom of my hunting partners bedrolls. I figure that should buy me enough time to deal with any problems that may come in.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofa King View Post
    gun sleeps with me.
    condensation or not, the gun ain't much good to you if it ain't in your hands.
    \

I agree gun ain't much good to you if it ain't in your hands
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
    -- George Washington

" A long range shot should never be taken if the range is so great that a hold on the top the shoulders will not drop a bullet into the chest cavity." Author Jack O'Conner

Had some snow drop onto the pack alarm wire last year late in november. After a week I was a little twitchy. I sleep with a headlamp on and 45-70 leaned up nearby. When it went off and shattered my peaceful sleep. I managed a pretty sweet ninja roll out of cot followed by the trip over sleeping bag move, grab rifle, and then when nothing came charging through the tent wall i went out to see what was up. 130AM... had a big whisky while unwinding and went back to bed.
    Eat your dessert first.

Couple trigger-happy Canadian guys!

Boy mistaken for bear shot, killed in campsite
    http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/boy-mistaken-for-bear-shot-killed-in-campsite-210040201.html

Camper who thought he heard a bear shoots woman relieving herself

http://www.riderfans.com/forum/showthread.php?100291-Notice-to-Sask-campers-please-do-not-shoot-peeing-Danish-tourists
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

depends on where I am and the size of the tent. I have a tent big enough to walk around in. I sleep on a cot so i am not helpless on the ground. the rifle is locked and loaded on the ground beside the cot. The coleman lantern is turned down as low as possible giving heat and just enough light to see by. The sleeping bag is unzipped and thrown over me. Do not zip myself up like a burrito. I am fully dressed when I sleep in the bush, shoes and all. The cot and open sleeping bag allow me to quickly deploy myself to meet any threat. Not paranoid or anything I do not want to wake up finding myself turned into bear skat in the morning.
    Last edited by eaglesnester; 10-31-2015 at 10:47 AM.

Lol 25 years ago was in Cariboo mts with twin brother, shot an awesome blond black bear..Gerry set up2 tents..I skinned out bear..supper and for a joke I put a package of BACON under Gerries pillow in Gerries tent..wwaited for him to discover it..
    I hear WT HELL.. and then Gerry came over to my tent..not a happy camper. .and forcefully exchanged tents for the night...never did sleep that night.

Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by kgs View Post
    \

I agree gun ain't much good to you if it ain't in your hands
    ppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Couple trigger-happy Canadian guys!

Boy mistaken for bear shot, killed in campsite
    http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/boy-mistaken-for-bear-shot-killed-in-campsite-210040201.html

Camper who thought he heard a bear shoots woman relieving herself

http://www.riderfans.com/forum/showt...anish-tourists
    I guess the lesson here is....don't hunt with morons.....
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Back in 1991 some hunters set up their camp not far from mine, 50 yards or so
    I keep a clean camp, they didn't
    Third or fourth night that they were there, I heard 3 shots in the middle of the night

They claimed a bear was trying to get in their tent
    At first light they showed me the huge paw print on the side of their tent