Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleeping with your rifle in your tent?

Re: Sleeping with your rifle in your tent?

lights on it help too

~[URL=http://s800.photobucket.com/user/mrmabley/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151026_185138_zpshogtohuz.jpg.html][/URL
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

Quote Originally Posted by hoochie View Post
    Whistle... Not trying to be an ass.. must have been a long day. When I read this I got the noise of a squeaky toy in my head while a grizzly rag dolls someone.
    Now that's funny. lol

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by M.Dean View Post
    And a side note while I'm thinking about being ripped apart by a bear in my tent, my Brother picked me up a motion light for my front yard, it's a solar powered motion light, has 100 LED bulbs and is real bright. It's rechargeable and simply screws to anything, like a tree a few feet away from your tent in bear country. I know I've had the odd time camping when you hear that growl or some other dam noise and you have to get up and go outside the tent to see what it was, sure be nice with that big light, and if you did have to shoot at something, it would make it alot easier for sure!
    I really like that 'motion detector' light idea...for many reasons other than just predator spotting.
    I've done a lot of tent camping and only had my gun loaded beside me a couple of times. Many of
    my tent camping nights haven't been while hunting or carrying a gun. I'm very paranoid of having
    a loaded gun in the sleeping area if camping with others. I don't know how many times I've been
    wakened by a camping companion making noise while outside for a pee break. When you consider
    the number of people out tenting all year long throughout the wilderness in relation to the very few
    nasty predator incidents, the actual risks are very low, especially if you exercise good camping
    protocol.

Hmmm slept in some incredibly remote locations with very high concentrations of grizzly or coastal brown bears for almost 4 decades...my advice..
    Gun gets brought into the tent magazines loaded but non in the chamber.
    A good strong reliable flashlite..
    A fixed blade knife..

The flashlite is to see what the night time disturbance is..
    The rifle is to deal with a menacing bear..all bear encounters at night in your tent are predatory. .defend your life..
    The knife is to make a secondary exit anywhere you may need it..cant rip a tent...

I also advocate a NEW white t shirt for sleeping only..no eating while wearing it..it stays in the tent..
    Should the worst case scenario happen..it is really easy to spot hunting partners at 3am in the white t shirt. .no confusion of what or where..

Cheers
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm slept in some incredibly remote locations with very high concentrations of grizzly or coastal brown bears for almost 4 decades...my advice..
    Gun gets brought into the tent magazines loaded but non in the chamber.
    A good strong reliable flashlite..
    A fixed blade knife..

The flashlite is to see what the night time disturbance is..
    The rifle is to deal with a menacing bear..all bear encounters at night in your tent are predatory. .defend your life..
    The knife is to make a secondary exit anywhere you may need it..cant rip a tent...

I also advocate a NEW white t shirt for sleeping only..no eating while wearing it..it stays in the tent..
    Should the worst case scenario happen..it is really easy to spot hunting partners at 3am in the white t shirt. .no confusion of what or where..

Cheers
    Srupp
    Now that is great advice right there. Nothing like experience to provide the knowledge. Thanks Srupp.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

Hmm knew I missed something...senility...
    If you are by yourself..do what you think best..however

In my camp, or with a hunting partner..rethink the shotgun with 00..
    If you prefer a shotgun..slugs only, please..it will be up close and dirty..too much chance for pellet to hit hunting partner.
    Worst case bear pulls your partner out of the tent..aim for the bears ass end..from the side....rear quarters..quickly reload while keeping the rifle aimed at the same exact location..
    Upon your first shot..the bear will drop your hunting partner the bear will swap ends and where his ass was..his head is..shoot again..keep shooting but keep side stepping now towards the bears hind quarters so shots are angled away from your partner.
    Maulings are survivable..shot at close range..not so much..
    No food items of any sort. .even gum..in the tent..wash before bed..remember your clean white sleep shirt.
    Be safe..
    Steven

What happened to the Pack Alarm.

Thanks SRUPP, sounds like great advice!
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    This thread reminds me why I like to sleep under a tarp instead of a tent. My son and I were up Tuchodi a couple years ago, spiked out in our tent. Middle of the night something big was snorting and snuffling just outside the tent. I had my gun but had no sense of the threat level and I just waited for the tent fabric to ripple, but it didn't. Under a tarp I would have been able to see.

But to answer your question... of course take a gun with you in the tent. Unless you have one that works on voice command
    I had a night like this too up in the mountains near Golden. -15, trying to sleep in a tiny tent and there is whoomfing and rumaging and heavy steps 50 feet away by our fire from the night before. Was a Grizz no 2 ways about it. Lay there clutching the cold steel of my rifle trying to kick my brother awake next to me. He finally woke up and we lay there in the pitch dark holding these rather useless long guns in a tent with NO idea which way to point them.

It was a long restless night than ended up totally uneventful. I built a camping trailer this year haha.

I wear one of those head band flash lights. Hands free to see where I'm taking a leak. If someone shoots me with that on...
    Plus I have a voice. "Hey I'm gunnaa take a leak"... works great
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts