Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Target Panick

Re: Target Panick

Also one thing that I feel is important that has not been mentioned yet; don't forget breath control. If you take nice deep and calm breaths you'll notice that all the shakes from adrenalin are gone, and then learn to shoot on the exhale (or inhale, whatever feels better to you) as that creates a more stable shooting platform than breathing at shot.

Got the Bowhunter magazine that Bowwalker is talking about, and I'd recommend it, it's got a few good reads in it.

If you are not waiting till the pin hits the X until you fire, what do you focus on?
    He points out that you should squeeze the trigger slowly while the pin floats in the general area of the X to avoid punching the trigger. I found this way applied to finger shooting is optimal for me, as the pins float over the target my reflexes allow my hand to relax before the pins are perfectly aligned over the X, and most of the time it gets me into a good group near center. This is the only way I've found to consistently hit bulls eye, as releasing on the bulls eye always means a miss for me, but releasing instinctivly before the X is a better chance of hitting dead center.

The best thing that article finishes with, is whatever your preferred method, do it consistently. Consistency is key.

I'm curious, I see your bow is 70#. Now obviously you can draw it comfortably, that's not what I'm about to ask. However have you tried dialing your bow down to 60# (I'm assuming that 70# is your peak and it can go down to 60#)? You may find that you have greater control, less shakes, and a easier time bringing the pins up to meet the target area with a lesser draw.

Bow Walker Guest

Excellent comments loki....

re; bow poundage......the "shakes" might not be a factor of drawing a heavy weight bow if the letoff is up around 80%. But.....

My older Martin Phantom was a "female dog" to draw, but once past the cam rotation where the letoff kicks in, that bow was easy to hold (and it was set at 54 lbs). My new Diamond Liberty is set at 61 lbs. It is easier by far to draw and hold than my oder Martin. Just some random thoughts.

You guys are way to technical. We are talking about killing an animal. Draw back, release and have a good time. There is no such thing as target panick. This is bowhunting, don't f### with it. If you want to kill a critter that bad maybe bowhunting isn't for you. Or better yet, get a X BOW. Talk to Hermit about it. Oh yea, its Froday night, enjoy yourselves.

Bow Walker Guest

Are you sure that Hermit is OK with you casting aspersions on his shooting ability...

...let alone his shot placement?

I'm curious, I see your bow is 70#. Now obviously you can draw it comfortably, that's not what I'm about to ask. However have you tried dialing your bow down to 60# (I'm assuming that 70# is your peak and it can go down to 60#)? You may find that you have greater control, less shakes, and a easier time bringing the pins up to meet the target area with a lesser draw.
    [/QUOTE]

I do not shake, I more or less get anxiety as soon as I am inside the spot i want to shoot sometimes. I hold it steady w/ no moving or shaking and as i put my pin on the spot I want to shoot I have to fight my finger from hitting the release and I pancik or rush the shot. the 70# wieght is light for me and do not even notice it, especailly with the 80% let off. It is more an issue of my mind trying to shoot before I am ready. hard to explain but I have been working on it and it seems to get better especially when shooting 50 & 60 yds.
    Last edited by Bow Walker; 05-12-2007 at 04:08 PM.
    "Using your legs to go up a road is called walking, not hiking and if you have a gun over your shoulder or a bow in hand it's called road hunting."
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock
    You guys are way to technical. We are talking about killing an animal. Draw back, release and have a good time. There is no such thing as target panick. This is bowhunting, don't f### with it. If you want to kill a critter that bad maybe bowhunting isn't for you. Or better yet, get a X BOW. Talk to Hermit about it. Oh yea, its Froday night, enjoy yourselves.
    Actually we are in the bow tuning and technique section... so....maybe pound sand while I try to improve my shooting by getting helpful advice from the seasoned shooters on this site which is the opposite of what you gave me one sock!
    "Using your legs to go up a road is called walking, not hiking and if you have a gun over your shoulder or a bow in hand it's called road hunting."
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock

well that was insightful wasnt it... im guessing you know all that there is to know about shooting a bow???

some of us actually shoot a bow for more than just "bowhunting". and actually there is such a thing as target panic...

i didnt actually see where pupper mentioned anything about "wanting to kill a critter that bad"? i think he was talking about shooting a 3-d target... could be wrong..... nope he said 3-d target...

oh p.s....... its panic not panick....and im not to sure what day of the week froday is? sounds alot like frIday maybe though?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club

Bow Walker Guest

I hope (and beleive) that what onesock posted was in jest - at least that's how I'm taking it. So cut a little slack here, unless he proves otherwise.

Jumping on a person because of spelling errors could be a full time job - check out most of the other two thousand plus members.

sure didnt sound in "jest" to me but hey you may be right..
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club

thanks for that jess

some good people on this site
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.