Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Target Panick

Re: Target Panick

good advice bigbear and bowwalker. blind baling is a wonderful thing. so is a pure back tension release if you r brave enough up until this year, ive never had this problem. 3-d has been pretty much smooth sailing for me. well......... this year ive been shakey like a dog $h!!ting razorblades..... until this past weekend. first round on sat was horrible. punchy punchy........ but through will and determination , i worked through it. sunday was mucho better. i have been using a pure"n"tension back tension release also to work on this and it helped. i would really like to use this release all the time for 3-d, but it causes me to kick left when i shoot. i think i may need a v-bar to the right, or to shorten my draw length a bit to help the bow kick forward and not to the left.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club

Rainwater Guest

Try relaxing and have more fun at the 3D, don't worry about your buddies score or winning top prize. Sometimes that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainwater
    Try relaxing and have more fun at the 3D, don't worry about your buddies score or winning top prize. Sometimes that will work.
    blasphamy!

uh ......did he say not worry bout score????thats a good one.........
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

I went to the range today and started off with some bale shooting. Everything was perfect.

I went to the first 3d target at 25 yds that I shoot every week and as soon as I had my finger on the releas I could not move the bow and I shot low.

After that I tried keeping both eyes open until I was pretty well lined up then I closed one eye, and only after I was locked on the spot I moved my finger in front of the trigger release. Using that system I avoided any anticipation or twitching and I shot quite well on the course.

I think I grew accustom to shooting as soon as my finger was in front of the release and now I cannot line up unless my finger is behind the trigger. I panick as soon as I bring my finger in front. So waiting until I am locked on seems like a fix for now.
    "Using your legs to go up a road is called walking, not hiking and if you have a gun over your shoulder or a bow in hand it's called road hunting."
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.

pupper,
    do you raise your pin up to target or do you aim high and lower pin onto target???the reason i ask is i used to aim low and raise my pin into position and had a very hard time getting myself to raise up to where i wanted to hit. and when i did get it up, it was more of a drive by than anything. i changed to lowering my pin onto the target and the problem was almost instantly resolved. (minus getting a new routine and such). give it a try. let me know. are you more comfortable with shooting one eye closed??? i cant do it. just doesnt work for me. sometimes and i mean sometimes, if you have to shoot with one eye closed, that can mean your possibly shooting with your less dominant eye. not saying that is the case
    Quote:

I do raise up to the target. I will work on lowering down to it. I can see how that would help. My bow locks up and I cant move it up higher if I start below the target.

Justin
    "Using your legs to go up a road is called walking, not hiking and if you have a gun over your shoulder or a bow in hand it's called road hunting."
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.

Bow Walker Guest

Randy Ulmer has a shooting tip in the May/June issue of Bowhunter magazine in which he is talking about 'relaxing' as you aim.

The point being that the more you try to hold the pin on target the more muscle tension builds up and the more you begin to quiver and shake.

He goes on to say that if you can relax and squeeze off the shot while you are "floating" - don't try to time your hot for when the pin floats over the X as this will lead to trigger punch.

He advocates keeping both eyes open during the shot. With both eyes open your depth of field is much better, you can see the target and the area around it, and it is easier to let your sub conscious take over the shot process.

If your non-dominant eye tends to take over when you have both eyes open, try squinting that eye. If the problem persists - well you need to close that non-dominant eye.

I've tried the "float-shooting" method and surprisingly it works very well. The more I practice that way - the better I get.

Now....if only I could judge yardage accurately!

thanks bowwalker,

one question though: If you are not waiting till the pin hits the X until you fire, what do you focus on?
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.

Bow Walker Guest

According to his article...he says that some focus on the pins, some focus on the target - his recommendation is to soft focus on both, or to focus somewhere in the middle an let your subconscious take over.

I've tried that, but I find it very hard to do. I guess that it takes practice, just like anything else.