Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Target Panick

Target Panick

over the weekend at the willy lake 3D shoot I noticed as soon as I would put my pin on the target I would start to get anxious and jerk and jiggle. I would be smooth at the draw and on the way down to the target, but as soon as I placed that pin on the target I was panicky. I really had to focus all my energy on holding back from hitting the release early.

Ive never had this before. I could always hold steady, where did it come from and why now?

how can I work towards shaking it off?? pardon the pun!!

Justin
    "Using your legs to go up a road is called walking, not hiking and if you have a gun over your shoulder or a bow in hand it's called road hunting."
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Target Panick

Justin, I know your a young fella and an awesome hunter but it does this old guy a huge lift to know it isn't just the old guys who have the herky jerky's when you center on the 10 ring. I hate it !! I concentrate sooooooooooooo hard on holding steady I herk and jerk all over the place, just ask any body that shoots beside me at a FITA shoot. After seeing how Chris shoots with a heavier, longer stabilizer I am thinking about making some mods. Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

what bugs me is that it never used to happen and now it only happens when i am on the target and when my finger touches the trigger my mind wants to pull that trigger immediatley and it takes all of my self worth to hold back.
    "Using your legs to go up a road is called walking, not hiking and if you have a gun over your shoulder or a bow in hand it's called road hunting."
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.

some guys consider it target panic, I just find it a huge pain in the ass. I find I have this problem constantly with 3-D, however shooting alone or hunting its never an issue. Its a habit, and you can break it. When your shooting target concentrate on a smooth release. I find if i concentrate on it in target it comes out less in 3-D. Also I use to use a thumb button release and I got extremely bad at punching it, when I changed releases it went away.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

yah ok, I dont notice either hunting or shooting paper but I was considering using my middle finger to pull the trigger with instead of my index

and next time Im at the range I am going to work on my follow through
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.

Justin,
    It does Happen , and it can be cured. try using a varity of different releases. different feeling releases wil help because yur not settling into the old steps that are familiar to preceade the target panic. try this for a few weeks. the go back to yur release. that u use.by the time you come back to your release the familiar target panic should be gone. another method is to practise at a trget at close close Range.This is so you don't miss the Target. Close your Eyes and go thru the steps to the release , and fire. Practise these till these steps that you normaly take to the time you release ,are just Automatic. Part of the trouble with Target Panic is That a person is Antisapating the shot. In this method your steps are so layed down that the shot is just Natural, and Not antisapated.
    Kelly
    My worst day of Hunting is better than my best day at Work.

Hey Pupper , I suggest you talk to Wayne M of BGArchery .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

thanks big bear,

I will work on that
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.

Bow Walker Guest

Re: Target Panic

Pupper, you might consider 'blind bale' shooting when you go to the range next time.

Stand about 5 - 10 yards away from the big target butt and close your eyes. Draw your bow, come to a comfortable anchor and relax just for a few seconds while holding at full draw and keeping your eyes shut.

After holding for a few seconds, begin to slowly - I mean slowly - apply pressure to your release trigger. Concentrate on the feel of the bow and the tension of the release, all the while very slowly applying pressure to the trigger. Did I mention that you should apply pressure to the trigger mechanism really slowly? I Did? OK, just making sure.

In the soon to be immortal words of Byron Ferguson...."Be the Bow."

When the arrow is released you should be surprised as all get out.

Do this for about 10 - 20 shots, or until you no longer feel like jerking the trigger.

Move back out to your first pin and practise the same sequence with your eyes open this time. If you start to get the "herky jerkys"( ) again, just move in and do it with your eyes closed until you relax and don't jerk or jiggle. Move back out and try to shoot "normal."

The more you try to hold on the "X" or the dot or the spot....the more you will jiggle and jerk. It's muscle tension. Your mind is sending all these correction 'signals' to your muscles and they just can't keep up - hence the herky jerkys.

good advice bowwalker
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.