Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it worth spending more on some shotguns?

Re: Is it worth spending more on some shotguns?

There is a franchi asecention on gun nutz for $1700. Good looking gun no engraving or fancy work. Look on cabelas.ca for specs.

Have a mossberg silver reserve I bought when they 1st came out had a broken firing pin about every 2000 rounds, seven firing pins in total. Had a gunsmith make some that have lasted, got about 5000 rounds on them now (my son shots sporting clays with it.) Now after 7 firing pins and approx 20000 rounds I have loose gun that I can't rely on. For shotguns for me I would buy a browning, berreta,benelli, ruger etc. not any the turkish made guns.Have approx.8000 rounds on bps 12, 6000 on bps 20, 3000 on maxus 12 and no issues at all with them. If money is a issue I would buy a used gun or new quality pump before acheapo/u ors/s.

If your into SXS's the 12ga. Ruger Gold Lable is a great shotgun, easy on the eye's,light; about 6 1/2LBS, no engraving. Trouble is their not cheap and they don't make them any more. But if you want, I just happen too have one for sale if the price is right. Wink Wink, Nod Nod, say no more. These guy's are right, fit is everything. If it doesn't fit it doesn't matter if it's a $150 or $25,000 shotgun, or how pretty it is your not going to shoot it well.

this is true to so many things, trying to justify why $$ .. just buy what you ca afford .. look for a nice used gun

It sounds like you really enjoy Upland Hunting. Sadly here in BC there is not much of "Upland Tradition" as it is in the eastern Canada, US and UK. I would suggest you get your hands on some good traditional upland hunting books such as "The Upland Sporting Life" by George "Bird" Evans. It goes into the true essence of what this life is all about. In short it's all about good double barreled shot guns, great bird dogs and a reverence for the birds themselves. There are alot of other great books as well if you look around. To me I don't enjoy bird hunting without the dog work.

I personally shoot a 1926 AH Fox and am just about to buy a Browning Superposed in a vintage year. Doubled barreled guns whether SxS or O/U are traditional upland guns and are a lot safer than the other actions. The opinions are all over the map on this thread. Have a look at some great upland sites as well and there are also some great upland hunting blogs.

Enjoy your holidays.

Dog_River

Lots of good points on here. having a gun that fits well is the most important. Doesn't matter if it's a cheap gun or an expensive one. One of the shotguns that I shoot best with is a cheap old Baikal SxS. But if you often find yourself wistfully looking at the higher end guns, you won't be happy until you have one - or more. If you shoot it well, you're set for life. Otherwise, the search continues. I saved and bought a Beretta 686 28 gauge and it's a beautiful gun. I shoot ok with it, but decided it's not for me and put it up for sale. Then I got a nice AYA SxS. Haven't even shot it yet. But if I can't hit anything, that too will be sold off. I sure wish I could try out some of these things before buying them, but no luck with that so far....

Maybe you should think about getting a shotgun fitted to you. Do some online research on what all that entails. I have no idea where that can be done in BC.

I just bought a Browning Superposed and it seems to fit and swing really nice. Whether I can hit anything with it remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by badgreenbird View Post
    Lots of good points on here. having a gun that fits well is the most important. Doesn't matter if it's a cheap gun or an expensive one. One of the shotguns that I shoot best with is a cheap old Baikal SxS. But if you often find yourself wistfully looking at the higher end guns, you won't be happy until you have one - or more. If you shoot it well, you're set for life. Otherwise, the search continues. I saved and bought a Beretta 686 28 gauge and it's a beautiful gun. I shoot ok with it, but decided it's not for me and put it up for sale. Then I got a nice AYA SxS. Haven't even shot it yet. But if I can't hit anything, that too will be sold off. I sure wish I could try out some of these things before buying them, but no luck with that so far....

Upland Weatherby 28gauge receiver is not a modified 20 nice fit finish not that expensive better than I would have expected like it a lot, and I have shot a few ,,,

1899 Guest

Appreciating, and lusting for, fine shotguns is a curse. Unless you are wealthy. In that case if is a welcome affliction.

Keep in mind that you don't need to buy new. I've scored some nice shotguns at a fraction of their new price. This is especially true with some of the less well known brands. Best buy ever? Minty Beretta 409 for $400 - mind you that was 20 years ago, but still. Keep your eyes open and have your wallet ready!