Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth spending more on some shotguns?

Re: Is it worth spending more on some shotguns?

Quote Originally Posted by 250 sav View Post
    love my my bps uplands 20 gauge with a 22 inch barrel for uplands.I have been dissapointed with cheap over under and s/s shotguns
    I have been looking at that BPS Upland - decent price and good size. Maybe a stupid question, but any problems feeding in cold weather? I have seen this on a couple shotguns (not Browning, but Weatherby) and in my mind I attribute it to poor maintenance by the owners.

Thanks everyone for your feedback so far, some good points made.

The one thing you will gain with a "better" shot gun is reliability no broken firing pins or jamming up. Nothing worse on a hunting trip than a gun failure. We all count the days to get out there so we want to enjoy every minuet.

Shoot a beretta over and under and you will be forever in love with one.

In order for a shotgun to shoot well for you, it must be properly fit. The gun must shoot where you are looking. I shoot a lot of skeet (about 5000 rounds a year). The gun I use for this is a Browning Grade 7 Citori. I also shoot trap, and use a Perazzi over and under for this. I would never dream of using an over & under for bird hunting, as it is the wrong choice. When bird hunting, I always use a pump or autoloader. Probably one of the best bird gun designs out there, is a side by side. Over & unders have a very deep receiver and are not as quick to reload as a side by side, which by comparison has a very shallow receiver, and reloads quickly. A lot of african Professional hunters use rifles which are side by sides for this very reason(quick follow ups and reloading). As most of use can not necessarily afford a good side by side, pumps and autoloaders are the next logical choice. What ever you decide, know that the two most important things to address are proper fit, and lots of practice. There are a lot of good articles on the internet that explain how to properly fit a shotgun. A good gunsmith can help you with fit. If you understand stock geometry, it is possible to get a pretty cheap shotgun to shoot well. Also know, that buying a more expensive gun, does not mean you will shoot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowethelazydog View Post
    I have been looking at that BPS Upland - decent price and good size. Maybe a stupid question, but any problems feeding in cold weather? I have seen this on a couple shotguns (not Browning, but Weatherby) and in my mind I attribute it to poor maintenance by the owners.

Thanks everyone for your feedback so far, some good points made.
    About 8000 rounds through the uplands a no problems

Quote Originally Posted by justachip View Post
    The one thing you will gain with a "better" shot gun is reliability no broken firing pins or jamming up. Nothing worse on a hunting trip than a gun failure. We all count the days to get out there so we want to enjoy every minuet.
    I agree 100%

Also keep an open mind to second hand shotguns which have been kept in very good condition by their owners. Sign of the times but I am noticing on hunting forums guys trying to get some cash in hand by selling their good quality over/under or side by side shotguns. And some by very good gun makers not junk. A good way to save some money and yet get a shot gun that can give you many enjoyable hours of hunting out in the field. My two cents worth on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    My personal view is that until you have tried all the cheap ones, you shouldn't.
    There is nothing particularly different between a $300 O/U and a $3000 O/U other than things that don't make it shoot any better.
    Expensive shotguns just have fancier stock and finer engraving and prettier colours, and if you really want to pay than they can also customize and build a gun for your length of pull and balance it for you.
    They don't shoot any straighter and they are not any more reliable in terms of click/bang ratios.

But fancy shotguns are easy on the eyes.

(Not my shotgun)

You have probably never done much shooting with a good shotgun fit and balance can't be compared, not counting the workmanship in the mechanics. My Red Label handles and shoots like no $500 shotgun ever will and it's not top of the line when it comes to O/U. That being said If a lower end gun seems to work for you and you are happy then stick with it but be aware there is a big difference when and if you ever find the want to step up to something better and it's not all about inlay and engraving.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

if you really want to test a shotgun for comfort, migratory birds (after you are skilled) or skeet/trap is the way to really see if the thing shoulders quickly and feels right especially from a slightly awkward position...I have a savage that is 37 years old (owned from new when in grade 6) ..it was around 100 bucks at the time...It has killed hundreds or maybe over a 1000 ducks and likely over 200 grouse...the key is to know where/what the pattern is relative to where you aim....I shot a grouse a week ago with buddy's full choke 12 gauge (mine is a modified choke) and #6 non lead shot (I have not hunted birds since long before lead was banned and always used 7 1/2)...I lined up high to avoid holes in the breast (get a bb or two in the head) and sure as crap I missed...twice...got him with the third...obviously you want a gun with a rep for reliability if you are in harsh conditions or do a tonne of shooting but a cheapie can still fit the bill

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    if you really want to test a shotgun for comfort, migratory birds (after you are skilled) or skeet/trap is the way to really see if the thing shoulders quickly and feels right especially from a slightly awkward position...I have a savage that is 37 years old (owned from new when in grade 6) ..it was around 100 bucks at the time...It has killed hundreds or maybe over a 1000 ducks and likely over 200 grouse...the key is to know where/what the pattern is relative to where you aim....I shot a grouse a week ago with buddy's full choke 12 gauge (mine is a modified choke) and #6 non lead shot (I have not hunted birds since long before lead was banned and always used 7 1/2)...I lined up high to avoid holes in the breast (get a bb or two in the head) and sure as crap I missed...twice...got him with the third...obviously you want a gun with a rep for reliability if you are in harsh conditions or do a tonne of shooting but a cheapie can still fit the bill
    Skill being what it is (I don't miss an honest flush more than 30% of the time ) my preference would be for a double SxS - the problem is to assess fit I need to find one for sale. I know WS, Grouse etc often carry o/u Mossbergs but I am looking for a little more if I go that direction in terms of quality and the onyx sxs seem to be hard to fine. Of course they can be ordered. I find SxS sight better for me that an O/U but that could be just the ones I have tried shooting skeet. I can find Huglu's which kind of hit that CZ range of $900-$1000 just not any SxS. I may have to save for a couple months and be okay with up-ing my spend to $2000 or $2500 to get a quality sxs. Decoration matters little to me on a gun, it needs to fit and it needs to last. This gun in particular will not be used for steel shot or waterfowl hunting, just upland.