Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth spending more on some shotguns?

Is it worth spending more on some shotguns?

All,

This must be a fairly classic question by now. I am an avid upland bird/hare hunter working the forest and fields from August through end of April (not counting Turkey hunts and big game). Twice a week I hit the trees and will cover 6- 10 hours of ground depending on sunlight, weather etc. Currently, I have a 410 bore, 20gauge and 12gauge all relatively cheap guns (I think the most I paid was about $550 and that was for the Winchester 12gauge).
    For the other avid upland hunters out there that like to do lots of walking, is it worth upgrading to a finer firearm in the neighborhood of $1500 - $2000? I know accuracy isn’t going to be a benefit and all that pretty wood on the fancier guns is going to get scratched over the years. Is the fit and feel all that much better than say a 870 Express? Longevity? For the double guns (my 410 bore is one albeit a cheap lightweight Stoeger) in particular is it worth spending the money to upgrade to a Browning or Benelli?
    A little about my tastes – I shoot skeet but very casually often my own thrower not at the club. From a hunting stance I likely don’t fire 4 boxes of shells from each of my 3 shotguns a season (so a little less than 300 in total) – but I do hunt most every week and rarely come home without game. In total I generally go through a full case of shells per shotgun per year counting trap/skeet and hunting (maybe a little less in the 410 bore as I only hunt with it for 2 month or so out of the year).

Advice appreciated!

Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Otter Point (Southern Vancouver Island) MU1-2&3

Re: Is it worth spending more on some shotguns?

I don't know about fit and finish of shotguns in the value range you mentioned.

I used to use an 870WM 12g for a while for upland birds, but it was long, that was my minor beef with it.
    I found an 870 LW Special Field in 20g it's much shorter, and lighter, much handier to carry through the thick when jumping from meadow to meadow.

For me it was about length of firearm, it's function over fashion for me, mind you the little english styled 20g has both.
    Just before I stumbled upon the 20g I was looking at the Weatherby SA-08 Compact in 20g for upland hunts.

May not have answered your question, just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by B.C.Boy(100%) View Post
    I don't know about fit and finish of shotguns in the value range you mentioned.

I used to use an 870WM 12g for a while for upland birds, but it was long, that was my minor beef with it.
    I found an 870 LW Special Field in 20g it's much shorter, and lighter, much handier to carry through the thick when jumping from meadow to meadow.

For me it was about length of firearm, it's function over fashion for me, mind you the little english styled 20g has both.
    Just before I stumbled upon the 20g I was looking at the Weatherby SA-08 Compact in 20g for upland hunts.

May not have answered your question, just my two cents.
    Length is important to me as well. I find even 26" too long sometimes which is why I use a short barreled 410 (20") until the foliage drops its leaves and I start longer shots. I generally don't use the 12 at all until there is snow on the ground and I find I am actually shooting out to 40 yards. I guess the advantage of a double is that it is shorter with the same length of barrel as a pump. Semi Auto's are generally out for me and while I don't have tons of experience with them I have seen many jam up in Northern hunts (albeit likely due to too much oil in the action). Doubles get expensive fast but it is really unclear to me how much I need to spend for an honest to god reliable work horse. The Stoeger is actually a good gun but I replaced the firing pins with harder ones (cost about $30). I haven't had any issues with Stoeger, but the online reviews are pretty hit and miss.

Interesting question. I've been pondering the same question on a number of different fronts lately.

I think you get 95% of the functionality from a cheap version but only 50% of the owner satisfaction of a 'nice' gun. A cheap, beat up gun may kill birds or bunnies as well or better than a beautiful side-by-side but you don't get the same happiness every time you touch or see the gun.

I have a perfectly functional Buck knife but it is functional, not satisfying. My Bark River knife is a work of art and craftsmanship and it give me a little pleasure every time I see it or use it. It isn't quite as good as my Havalon for skinning, but I still prefer the feel of it in my hand.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Rifles, shotguns, and handguns are tools, toys, or both. They can be funcitonal and ugly, or beautiful and shoot crooked, and any combination between.

Your quiver is pretty solid, but if the esthetics are important to you, and a beautiful, well-machined gun makes you want to go out more, then I don't see an issue with spending more to do that. Personally, I wouldn't want to give up too much else to make it happen.

I won't display my guns, so for me, function is more important than form.

When I just go out focusing on birds I usually take the 22 or 223 even so I could possibly shoot a deer but shotguns I like my basic HR break action over my 870 for lightness and quiet action.
    smooth quiet action would matter to me if I was spending more money

I've used Ithaca's, Winchesters and Remington's. All were very functional and did the job. Then I bought an over and under F.A.I.R.( Fabbrica Armi Isidoro Rizzini) A beautiful Italian made 16 ga. It's light, fast and fits me very well. I'll never go back. If it gets banged up so be it.
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

IME, a really fine gun simply balances and handles far better and I also enjoy the aesthetic aspect of it. I have had some pretty choice pieces over the past half century+, but, am not really much of a shotgunner.

I loved doubles and combo guns, but, am now using a Benelli Nova and a Super Nova, plus my Miroku-Browning Mod. 42 pump .410, my "truck gun" used for Grouse. I sold all my nice doubles and O.U, but, still have a Merkel drilling in 12-9.3x74R and a Browning Mod. 7500 O/U in .308Win-12ga.

Are these guns "worth it" as a couple of them cost major coin? That is up to the owner/user and we all have different tastes. budgets and desires.......its only money and GUNS are much more important than that!!!!

My personal view is that until you have tried all the cheap ones, you shouldn't.
    There is nothing particularly different between a $300 O/U and a $3000 O/U other than things that don't make it shoot any better.
    Expensive shotguns just have fancier stock and finer engraving and prettier colours, and if you really want to pay than they can also customize and build a gun for your length of pull and balance it for you.
    They don't shoot any straighter and they are not any more reliable in terms of click/bang ratios.

But fancy shotguns are easy on the eyes.

(Not my shotgun)

1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

love my my bps uplands 20 gauge with a 22 inch barrel for uplands.I have been dissapointed with cheap over under and s/s shotguns