Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meaty Boy

Hybrid View

Meaty Boy

Not too much of a story this time.... Hunting my old haunt looking for a buck I've passed on the last two seasons.

Been in twice now to no avail was I even able to find bone. Now the third time in and off the bat I'm spotting deer, bucks too! Nothing more than small 2's. I spot all around these guys for an hour or two until they disappear, nothing else shows I move on. I think to my self it's way too dry no sign in any volumes, where would I be if I was a buck? So I move to the shaded slopes. Nodda nil. The days getting on. So I move down ridge to check out where the 2's went off to. No sooner did I get there and the rubs are insane! Not your typical little 2 pointer ones. Along with these are some solid BIG BUCK tracks! So I move on into the wind and get to some sub alpine moose puddles.. More rubs tracks etc. Now in stealth mode I slither along and it's getting hot, 11:30 at this point. I'm thinking nothing is gonna be beded in the open so I sneak thru some blow down/timber pockets out towards the open ridge. No sooner did I make that turn and "bam" buck looking at me face on 70 yards, descent frame. I hesitated at first and against my better judgement I took him! Throat shot, down he goes!

Then I question myself, did I just get trigger happy without sizing him up? Anyway less the drama, I'm happy with him lots of height not a huge scoring deer but fat! Boned him out caped and stuffed in the to totonka proved to be too much.

Even though I defatted and deboned. Had to make two long trips and at 715 all was out. Weighed the pack with meat, cape and skull which came out at 155 lbs.
    Do you think it's the same buck, or genetic trait?
    Last edited by ~T-BONE~; 10-19-2015 at 07:38 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Meaty Boy

Nothing wrong with that one, good job.

Nice buck! Shooter any day. Especially for October.

Same buck looks like if not same genes

Heck of a buck, shoot that all day everyday! Nice job with the backpacking, congrats
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Wow !! Nice

Dick the "score", awesome buck!!

Gret buck! Not the same deer as the trail cam.

Oh Crap! That's the Buck I wanted to shoot this Hunt'in Season! Any chance I could get my picture taken holding that awesome rack??? Didn't think so. Anyways, Real nice Buck!

Great buck.id say its a different one which is good.looks like you found a nice little honey hole there
    Sheep are not that tough. Grizzlies are. Grizzlies eat what sheep eat, plus they eat sheep