Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting lost stories?

Getting lost stories?

I haven't been truly lost (well maybe, depending on ones definition of lost) but I have lost my bearings, been disoriented, etc. Today was a good example. About a month ago, I found a great intersection of trails and the remains of an old rusted out tree stand. It was only about 400M into 1KM of timber between two FSR's (one goat trail and one "main road")

Fast forward to today, decided to hang a cam there. Thought it would be a quick in and out and decided just to take a spare empty backpack with just the trailcam stuff. Left my main pack in the jeep. Thought about taking my compass from my other pack but nah. Won't need it right?

Well, we aborted the mission when we couldn't find the old tree stand. Tried walking out and we ended up facing what we knew was the wrong road (with about 150M of the thickest nastiest crap Region 2 has to offer) and a creek in between meaning we were completely turned around. No way we're walking through there right? Lets just keep our back to it and get to the road just south of there. It's only around 1km right? Well, we tried... 3 times and ended up getting turned around each time. Cloudy, foggy, no good view of sun or mountains most of the time. Moss on the north side of trees right? Just walk between trees to keep in a straight line right? Lol good luck with that!!! After ending up facing 150M away from what we knew was the main road for the 3rd time, we ended up just plowing our way through what would have made a field of devils club seem pleasant with a creek half way through to our destination.

Good times. If we were in a larger area with the same terrain and less mountains, I could see how one could actually get very lost. Got me to wondering if anyone here is has been turned around real good and had to spend a night or longer? Crappy situation but sure makes for good stories later.

Lesson learned, take the dang compass every time.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 10-18-2015 at 06:13 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Getting lost stories?

gps, it's 2015.
    absolutely no need for anyone to ever, EVER getting lost or even turned around these days.
    I still just shake my head at all the idiots needing rescued from the trails in Vancouver, and they are on damn trails ffs.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I've been disoriented several times but always worked my way back
    to my starting place. Usually because of unexpected changing terrain
    or thick cloud or snow. I carry a compass 99% of the time though even
    if it's just a miniature one on my key chain or belt. On the other hand,
    several friends and relatives that have gone with me have become very
    lost when heading off on their own. Fortunately I've been able to find all
    of them but it's an awful feeling when someone doesn't show up within a
    reasonable time. You don't know how long to wait at your meet-up spot
    before starting a search in case they're injured. If there's a vehicle at the
    meet-up spot, honk the horn 2 times twice (not 3) every few minutes, find
    a solid dead tree and drum on it with a stout limb, or if you can whistle very
    loud, give a couple every few minutes. If you're solo, sit down and try to
    visualize how you got there, try to re-trace your steps (marking them as you go)
    or listen intensely for any familiar sounds. If you still have no idea on which
    direction to go, build a good sized fire and stay put. The last thing you want
    to do is let panic take hold of you and start running. Many people have perished
    because they panicked, began running, and died from hypothermia. I almost
    lost a brother in law because of just that. He was in great shape, got lost, panicked
    and began running while firing his rifle every now and then. Other hunters heard
    him but couldn't catch up to him. Fortunately one group knew he was headed to
    the only road separating him from vast devil's club swamps and were able to race
    around and grab him in time. That road was grown over with grass and brush enough
    that he likely would have crossed it without realizing it was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofa King View Post
    gps, it's 2015.
    absolutely no need for anyone to ever, EVER getting lost or even turned around these days.
    I still just shake my head at all the idiots needing rescued from the trails in Vancouver, and they are on damn trails ffs.
    I have an older GPS, but to get a reading, it needs a decent view of the sky. Are the new ones a little better at getting a signal in thick crap? I'm pretty sure if I brought it, it wouldn't have helped. Electronics fail and batteries die too. I don't think having a GPS is ever and excuse to leave the compass behind.

Lol the grouse grind was rated the "most dangerous trail in north america" by some magazine, I forget which. Their conclusion was based on the number of "incidents" but "most dangerous trail" was the headline nonetheless... kind of misleading.

ive never been lost, just a little confused...

Never been lost. Was slightly bewildered for a few days once though............

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    Never been lost. Was slightly bewildered for a few days once though............
    Lol that is the way I like to look at it

Can't say I've been lost. Was breaking trail for a seismic crew one winter. Was givin'r like the Deaner. The trails are marked every so many yards. But I forgot whether the big numbers ran east to west or west to east. When you got sled teacks running in a tight grid, it can get a little confusing. It was an overcast day, so I couldn't get a good bearing on the sun

Also been fogged in a couple times. But tge joy of being on a mountain and knowing a road is down there, you just gotta walk down the hill and avoid walking down creeks.

Was cruising down a FSR when a 3-4 point darted into the Christmas trees 50 yards up the road...threw the truck in park grabbed the rifle and ran in where I was hoping to cut his tracks up a ways...went in a few hundred yards, no dice on the tracks, marched around in there for a good hour or so before finally hitting the road a few clicks away from the truck...panic just starting to creep in as darkness fell.

Walked out the rocks to an island once. Walked around the island 3 times looking for the trail off the island. Seen the same stump for the third time is not a good feeling.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"