Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new recurve tuning issue

new recurve tuning issue

I am new to traditional shooting and have aquired a samick journey takedown bow in 40#,fast flite string, shooting off of rest.Arrows are easton powerflight carbon 500 spine at 31", 4" plastic vanes and 100 gr tips. I have a 30" draw length and believe my form is pretty good at times. Had shot several arrows and had found the fletching was hitting hard on the shelf leaving a mark and damaging fletching. I moved the nock point up now more than 1/4"( was originally at about 1/2") and still lightly touching shelf at times. Wondering if i'm going in the right direction? Is this nock point, arrow tuning, form, or possibly bow tiller? Outsyder where r u?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: new recurve tuning issue

You can go way up on your nock point up to 3/4" is ok and it will shrink your gaps aswell. If you are shooting of your shelf, feathers are better but vanes should still be okay. If you are still having problems with the vanes contacting the shelf, try sticking on a Bear weather rest and retune... Works better with vanes.

i'm already shooting off the rest (bearpaw) with vanes. I'll try as high as 3/4"and see what happens.

If it's porpoising (moving up and down) then you should move it up, if you are shooting 3under then this is not unusual, even an inch or more over perpendicular.
    The other thing to do would be tie a second knock point below your arrow when nocked (not TOO tight - remember the string angle as you draw) with dental floss if you don't have a any more brass nocks.

Some of us tune and then de-tune by moving the nocking point to get us a required point on distance - don't worry about that now but my point is that whilst good tuning is pretty important you can tweak it to suit your shooting needs, indeed world class shooters do this particularly for indoors and sometimes for hunting.

Jimmy Blackmon and Dewayne Martin have YouTube vids breaking this down, worth a watch.

So I have just finished shooting another 80 arrows at 40 lbs on my new samick sage. today was checking nocking point with two bare shaft, 500 spine, 31" and 100gr points and I have ended up at about 1/2" above with a second nocking point tied below and a little play to accommodate string angle. most of my shooting is at
    9 paces in my garage as it is illegal to shoot outdoors in town. I do cheat and step outside an open door to get 13 paces sometimes when i'm testing arrow flight. Thanks to my new buds Arne, Jimmy, and Jeff Kavanaugh I believe I've made big improvements on form and gone from afraid of not hitting the bag to 4arrows within 1/2" of a vertical string and sometimes 4 arrows in the space of a loonie. have also got some 30 lb limb that I use mostly and they come in handy when I need to hold for more than a moment to practice aiming.
    This is what I'm getting at now is the aiming part. I'm quite comfortable shooting 3 under with index finger at corner of mouth but I would like to be anchoring with middle finger at corner of mouth like Jimmy does but find it quite awkward and kind of stooping forward. It is hard to get everything else consistent when I try that and find it is easier to do with a tab than a glove. But I will keep trying and hopefully ready to shoot some rad trad 3D next spring.

Good job Bud!

Do you have a club in town doing indoor one night a week or something? Might be worth checking out…….. get some distance, work with competent archers and maybe a coach?

There's few if any quick fixes in this game but hanging out with decent and helpful shooters is definitely a step in the right direction.

Look forwards to seeing you at a 3d in the summer

I would think that your arrow is smacking the riser because your spine is too stiff ... try 125 or 150 grain points and see what happens ...

you want your arrow to flex around the riser as it leaves
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

For a 40 lb bow you should be shooting at least 600s and maybe 700s.

I shoot 400s with 100 grain tips at 45lb draw they flex just enough that they miss the riser on take off . Works great for me .i have excelent grouping at 20 - 40 yards . I get flack all the time for using such a light spine all the time . But what works for one guy may not work for another .
    "My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells all my hunting gear for what I told her I paid for it"

"Take your boy hunting, and you won't have to hunt for your boy".

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”

Good morning Muliechaser , your spine may be heavy . But like you say "if it works" . What are you LB or RC and draw lenght ?
    Cheers
    Last edited by greybark; 12-20-2015 at 09:43 AM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC