Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 12ga or 20ga for Upland birds and ducks?

Re: 12ga or 20ga for Upland birds and ducks?

If I was to have only one shotgun it would be a sxs 12 guage 28 inch barrel with fixed chokes Full and Modified. Or if I was a pump guy a rem 870 with a 28 inch barrel with interchangeable chokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowethelazydog View Post
    Ugh, both hit as hard. 20 gauge is actually very similar to a 45/70 for short range ballistics.12 just makes a slightly different sized hole.
    Don't "Ugh" me unless you are saying you would be indifferent to having a 12 gauge versus a 20 gauge when dealing with an aggressive bear. And if you want to shoot 00 buck... how do those 20 gauge shells work out for ya?

A fly hits a windshield just as hard as the windshield hits it. Physics man A 12 gauge is more versatile and has more potential for takedown power, period.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 10-15-2015 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Don't "Ugh" me unless you are saying you would be indifferent to having a 12 gauge versus a 20 gauge when dealing with an aggressive bear. And if you want to shoot 00 buck... how do those 20 gauge shells work out for ya?

A fly hits a windshield just as hard as the windshield hits it. Physics man A 12 gauge is more versatile and has more potential for takedown power, period.
    How is a 12 g more versatile? Except a 410 all gauges launch at the same velocity just different shot density. 20 gauge is the preferred deer slug among those that slug hunt not 12 because of exactly the same fps and terminal potential but with less damage to the meat. I have shot 00 buck through a 20 gauge with very lethal results. So they work just dandy. Just ' cause a 12 is louder doesn't mean it is "better". That's a rooky mistake. Plus the OP is more about upland hunting not "what gauge is best in case I am attacked by a bear". Hate to to tell ya pal bird shot from any shotgun at close range will mess a target up bad. I stick by my " ugh". I do apologize to the OP for drifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowethelazydog View Post
    How is a 12 g more versatile? Except a 410 all gauges launch at the same velocity just different shot density. 20 gauge is the preferred deer slug among those that slug hunt not 12 because of exactly the same fps and terminal potential but with less damage to the meat. I have shot 00 buck through a 20 gauge with very lethal results. So they work just dandy. Just ' cause a 12 is louder doesn't mean it is "better". That's a rooky mistake. Plus the OP is more about upland hunting not "what gauge is best in case I am attacked by a bear". Hate to to tell ya pal bird shot from any shotgun at close range will mess a target up bad. I stick by my " ugh". I do apologize to the OP for drifting.
    12ga is more versatile for birds because shot density and shot stringing allows to be more effective at a longer distance. You are likely to miss more often beyond 40 yards with a 20ga. The fact it doubles as a defense gun with more stopping power is something the OP might want to consider. There is no rule against having a couple rounds with slugs or 00 on your waist.

I do enjoy 410's and 20ga because they are weigh less and there is less meat damage if you shoot too close at a close range. That said I know my pattern well enough that I rarely end up with many pellets in the meat. 410 is my absolute favorite for grouse at close range but I rarely use it because that is a specific application. I don't like packing a bunch of guns so I usually take the 12ga. When I don't, I often wish I did.

Lets stick to actual pros and cons rather than statements like "just because one is louder doesn't make it better". That is not very helpful. Obviously there are more differences than sound, otherwise they wouldn't be on the shelf and there is likely a reason most replies suggested 12ga for someone who only wants one shotgun. And check the attitude at the door, this isn't the politics section

I would say 12 is better for both. I think 20 gauge may be a little light with steel shot n all for ducktheathon.

I bought a 12ga for my first shotgun. i come from Extensive Upland back ground but i wanted something that did ducks because i was 40 minutes away from Seaducks... if i did not live there that close to the chuck i would have gone 20ga because i love my upland.... and a 20 will do the "incidental duck trip" i had zero intention of deer with it.... though my Great uncle has wacked hundreds of deer with cut shells from a 20 and and slugs...

my vote.... if you are thinking more upland, out if the two choices id go 20Ga.... if you plan on doing more ducks then upland and have a place to shoot ducks a 12 minght be a better bet.....
    forget about defense.....

If you want to use the same gun for upland and waterfouw go with a 12 in what ever configeration fits you the best. If you want an excuse to have more scatterguns then a nice sxs 20 for grouse quail and partridge, a nice 12 O/U for phesant and jump shooting ducks and a Beretta, Winchester or Benelli auto loader for alround waterfowl.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

I don't hunt waterfowl, upland only. I use an over and under 16 ga. Love it
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

I love my old Fox double for smaller upland but for an all round shotgun I would suggest an O/U 3" 12 ga. I have used my Red Label for everything from quail to geese, it kills chit just fine.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I love my 870 20ga jr model. get good with your gun and you can whack 40yd birds no problem. I use it everywhere. Up land, farm land, sea side. shot everything except 00 buck out of it. Short quick and light and deadly. Not saying which is better because that is a never ending argument . All im saying is I love it. But im not a fan of the price of a box of shells.