Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 12ga or 20ga for Upland birds and ducks?

12ga or 20ga for Upland birds and ducks?

Never hunted birds, but would like to get a shotgun that I can use for both upland birds and ducks etc. If a guy was just going to buy one shotgun to cover most bases (and yes, I know thats like saying I will buy one fly rod for all fly fishing), what would you get - a 12 gauge or a 20 gauge?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 12ga or 20ga for Upland birds and ducks?

I vote for 12 ga. It's the most versatile
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I like my 20g it is a much lighter gun, Get it in 3" magnum if you get one. The fly rods I use the most are 3wt. I do not like packing heavy.

My vote is 12 ga ......

I hunt upland August through april (remember snowshoe). Get a 20 gauge if weight is an issue, get a 12 if not. Essentially, both have almost identical penetration and speed 20 just has less shot. FWIW don't wack upland birds with a 3" 20 gauge - you will ruin meat and actually get a lousy pattern. 2.75 is fine for all upland game. Both will kill waterfowl dead, just on requires you to shoot straighter than the other. Frankly I hunt with only enough gauge for the animal. If you want something to shoot chickens with road hunting it doesn't matter what you get. I you want to do honest to god upland hunting that means walking and you will want a light gun. August through October I carry a 410 bore double and kill bunnies, quail and grouse in very high numbers. I switch to a 20 when the shots get longer. I use a proper goose gun for waterfowl.

I would go for the 12ga. If you're on foot whacking birds/bunnies and run into problems with yogi you'll have it covered. Or maybe a big buck walks out... 20ga slug might to the job but I'd rather have a 12ga for the occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I would go for the 12ga. If you're on foot whacking birds/bunnies and run into problems with yogi you'll have it covered. Or maybe a big buck walks out... 20ga slug might to the job but I'd rather have a 12ga for the occasion.
    Ugh, both hit as hard. 20 gauge is actually very similar to a 45/70 for short range ballistics.12 just makes a slightly different sized hole.
    Last edited by Marlowethelazydog; 10-15-2015 at 07:26 PM.

I would recommend a 12 gauge as well. It will give you more versatility with what you decide to hunt.

Go big or go home, 10 gauge all the way.

If you are just starting out get a cheap ($400- $500) 12 ga. O/U or SxS, they're more versatile (greater choice of cheaper ammo) and can have a generous shot pattern suitable for upland or fowl. They can be used on big game and it's always a good idea to carry a couple of slugs or 00 buckshot if you wander around bear territory. Lots of entertainment factor in the off season dusting clays and you don't have to treat them nice . I don't like the rattlin' noise with a pump or auto. Once you established if it's your "thing" then you can get fancy and get yourself a 20 or even the princess 28 ga.. Personally I use a 410 SxS for chickens, unless it late season blues and then I need something with more pellets. And by the way, I find for a fly pole I love the 5 wt for interior lakes, enough back bone to punch into the wind and wrestle with the occasional big one while supple enough to let a pan fry feel like he's worth the effort.