Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 12ga or 20ga for Upland birds and ducks?

Hybrid View

12ga or 20ga for Upland birds and ducks?

Never hunted birds, but would like to get a shotgun that I can use for both upland birds and ducks etc. If a guy was just going to buy one shotgun to cover most bases (and yes, I know thats like saying I will buy one fly rod for all fly fishing), what would you get - a 12 gauge or a 20 gauge?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 12ga or 20ga for Upland birds and ducks?

I vote for 12 ga. It's the most versatile
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I like my 20g it is a much lighter gun, Get it in 3" magnum if you get one. The fly rods I use the most are 3wt. I do not like packing heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger#1 View Post
    I like my 20g it is a much lighter gun, Get it in 3" magnum if you get one. The fly rods I use the most are 3wt. I do not like packing heavy.
    I agree! This is the logic I'd use. However if money is no object, then by all means have one of each.
    They'll never end hunting...may make it illegal, but they'll never really kill that way of life!

My vote is 12 ga ......

I hunt upland August through april (remember snowshoe). Get a 20 gauge if weight is an issue, get a 12 if not. Essentially, both have almost identical penetration and speed 20 just has less shot. FWIW don't wack upland birds with a 3" 20 gauge - you will ruin meat and actually get a lousy pattern. 2.75 is fine for all upland game. Both will kill waterfowl dead, just on requires you to shoot straighter than the other. Frankly I hunt with only enough gauge for the animal. If you want something to shoot chickens with road hunting it doesn't matter what you get. I you want to do honest to god upland hunting that means walking and you will want a light gun. August through October I carry a 410 bore double and kill bunnies, quail and grouse in very high numbers. I switch to a 20 when the shots get longer. I use a proper goose gun for waterfowl.

I would go for the 12ga. If you're on foot whacking birds/bunnies and run into problems with yogi you'll have it covered. Or maybe a big buck walks out... 20ga slug might to the job but I'd rather have a 12ga for the occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I would go for the 12ga. If you're on foot whacking birds/bunnies and run into problems with yogi you'll have it covered. Or maybe a big buck walks out... 20ga slug might to the job but I'd rather have a 12ga for the occasion.
    Ugh, both hit as hard. 20 gauge is actually very similar to a 45/70 for short range ballistics.12 just makes a slightly different sized hole.
    Last edited by Marlowethelazydog; 10-15-2015 at 07:26 PM.

I would recommend a 12 gauge as well. It will give you more versatility with what you decide to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowethelazydog View Post
    Ugh, both hit as hard. 20 gauge is actually very similar to a 45/70 for short range ballistics.12 just makes a slightly different sized hole.
    Don't "Ugh" me unless you are saying you would be indifferent to having a 12 gauge versus a 20 gauge when dealing with an aggressive bear. And if you want to shoot 00 buck... how do those 20 gauge shells work out for ya?

A fly hits a windshield just as hard as the windshield hits it. Physics man A 12 gauge is more versatile and has more potential for takedown power, period.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 10-15-2015 at 08:32 PM.