Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meat band saw

Meat band saw

Did anyone ever posted about band meat saws?What is the difference between a saw from home depot and a saw made for meat only?Is it possible to use a band saw from home depot just with a different band?Is it worth the money or just debone everything?Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Meat band saw

Quote Originally Posted by Apolonius View Post
    Did anyone ever posted about band meat saws?What is the difference between a saw from home depot and a saw made for meat only?Is it possible to use a band saw from home depot just with a different band?Is it worth the money or just debone everything?Thanks.
    I'm curious about this too; slowly, slowly I want to add this to the personal butchering tooling I have at home. So far I just used a hand saw on big bones or straight out axe.
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand

Just bought a Waring band saw a few weeks ago. Need to move into the new house before I can use it.
    Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

A regular band saw is not designed for easy cleaning of the gunk that will be everywhere.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

Quote Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
    I'm curious about this too; slowly, slowly I want to add this to the personal butchering tooling I have at home. So far I just used a hand saw on big bones or straight out axe.
    I use a sawzall on big bones.

I was thinking about T-bone steaks and ribs.I just find the taste that the bone gives appealing.Also hear some guys cut the meat frozen,faster and not much mess.Just kind of started thinking about it and want to see what the members have to say.

If you are going to buy a band saw for meat consider the real McCoy. Years ago I bought what I thought was a suitable saw and was disappointed. You need one with a fairly broad blade and a decent sized motor. Someone who posted about the cleaning aspect was right on the money. Those $ 300 saws from Home Depot et al are not intended for meat and quite simply do not do a good job. Nasty to clean. Problems keeping the narrow blade tracking correctly and junky little guides. Fine for building bird houses etc. but that's all.

I have a combination saw/grinder on loan right now from a friend and look fwd to using it in the next few days. It is old, but built to last and designed specifically for meat.

Meat is best cut just shy of frozen and keep a plastic spatula on hand for a quick scrape to remove any bone grindings. This will improve appearance and flavour. I agree with you. Some cuts are nice with a bone included. Butterfly chops are great.
    Last edited by Daybreak; 10-13-2015 at 06:51 PM.
    I was born at night... but not last night.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

I also find deboning everything a little labour intensive and tiresome. Nice to take whole bone-in rump roast or back rack and just lop it into steaks and chops. These present so well when cooking for company.
    I was born at night... but not last night.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

We freeze the rear quarters and the spine section . We take all meat from neck front quarters and other little extras and make burger . After the quarters and spine section are frozen we buzz the spine in half and cut the chops . Then we take the rears and cut steaks 1/2 " to 1" in thickness and vacuum seal it all . Works great and its fast . Band saw is a must have .

Mc
    "My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells all my hunting gear for what I told her I paid for it"

"Take your boy hunting, and you won't have to hunt for your boy".

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”

We bought a meat band saw a few years ago, and I was having a bitch of a time trying to push the pork chop sections of meat directly onto the blade, seemed when I used the guides, the chunk of meat would push the blade to one side or the other, so bad a few times it cut into the top part? So, I said to heck with using the guides and simply held the chunk of meat and ran it through the blade, works great now! And, you have to read the instructions on how to clean the band saw when your done, Properly! It takes me about 20 minutes to strip it down, clean it and put it back together again when were done cutting, which isn't too bad. And yes, it's nice on some animals to have a T-bone steak look just like a T-bone steak, Bone In!