Thread: Grouse

Grouse

Hey everyone. I just moved to Chilliwack and would like to take my girlfriend and her brother out for some grouse (and rabbit). Can anyone point me in the direction of where the good hunting is in the area? Is the Chilliwack Lake area a good spot?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grouse

Wont find much around chilliwack lake unless you have a good dog, grouse are far and few between but that doesnt mean they are not there. I've got a couple already up in that area. One issue youll run into is the 800m no shooting zone from each side of the road. limits that area to only a few locations.

I would suggest driving a little further east, Hope does hold some grouse as well but again your areas are limited and youll run into more hunters than animals. I've personally never tried up the Coke but have heard some good reports from a buddy who hunts there with his pointer. Tulameen should hold lots of bunnies and some grouse. Not too far away either.

If your willing to travel about 2 hours send me a PM and ill give you some spots to check out. Had great success opening day and limited on grouse with one covey, same thing next morning. But... a buddy was in the area for any buck opening and said he seen very few grouse compared to the weeks before. Either been shot up or was just not looking hard enough. I've had better success hiking mid-day or first/last light on roads. Hiking has been the best though, find a side road that is old and grassy. Go about 20-25 yards in and slowly walk beside the road. Listen for them and move slow, you'll bump grouse but darn near step on bunnies, i find rabbits won't move until your almost on top of them. A quick 12-.410 gauge shotgun works best for tight forest hunting.