Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meek lake

Meek lake

Planning another northern trip this year i was wondering if anyone has any info on this lake

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Meek lake

Weather is about as brutal as you could believe. Beautiful sunny alpine meadows and minutes later gale force winds and rain. I woke up many nights thinking our wall tent was going to blow away. Spiked down with about 25 8 inch spikes and heaving like the Devils bellows. Scenery is stunning. Saw caribou, lots of grizz, couple sheep, couple goats in 10 days. If you want your meat you have to seriously work for it most times. That said, I would go back in a heartbeat. Go with fit guys who like to hike all day and spike tent and then spend a couple days retrieving each kill. Fishing used to be spectacular but is only mediocre now yet you will still eat your share of fat clean tasting glacier rainbows.

Neighbor went in once as well as a co-worker another time. From the two I got the feeling it was good for caribou and goats. Not a moose lake according to both however one of them I think, did get a small bull on the lake.

Cheers 257Stew

I hear there's a guide cabin on the lake. And a certain outfitter thinks he owns the land and wildlife from what I am told...

There is indeed a guide cabin. But it's a huge area. Make sure you bring a boat of some sort and a small motor is good. You can hike for 8 hours and find yourself coming over the crest of a rise and see another expansive landscape of valleys and hills extending off into the distance. Not too much bushwacking involved if you plan your path carefully. And then the treeline dissapears and its easy going.

Is there a trail behind the cabin ???

Game trails. And you make your own trails where the willows thin out. Lower down near the lake the trees are very thick and annoying. Pick up a thousand feet elevation and it's really nice hiking. Steep in places but awesome. I want to go back!!!

When you guys were there did you hunt towards Eagle Mountain or just stay in the Meek Lake drainage?

don't need one
    Quote Originally Posted by g_worsnop View Post
    Is there a trail behind the cabin ???

I work in the mountains just SW of there and last summer it seemed like lightening was hitting Mt Dalton every single day. I have a buddy who guided there last year and it sounded like absolutely miserable weather.