Thread: Grouse and rabbit in Chilliwack

Grouse and rabbit in Chilliwack

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site (and to BC). I recently moved to Chilliwack from New England. I've been a hunter for 12 years, mostly hunting pheasant with a 20 or 12 gauge. I have just acquired my basic hunting license and my uplands bird species license, and would like to head up to Chilliwack Lake Provincial Park soon for some hunting. I'm hunting with a crossbow, which is a completely new style of hunting for me. I'm wondering if there are any grouse in that area, and what kind of rabbits are up there? In the regulations, it only says "Snowshoe Hare" but doesn't mention any other species. Are there any snowshoe hare up there, and if I see any other species of rabbit, am I allowed to take it, or would that be breaking the law?
    Also, for anyone with crossbow experience, I have a Barnett Quad 400, with 150 lb pull, and my girlfriend has a Barnett Recruit, with 130 pound pull. Do you guys have any advice on the kind of tips I should use, that wont completely destroy the meat for a grouse? I hear that Judo tips are great.
    Thank you very much

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grouse and rabbit in Chilliwack

I don't know the Chilliwack lake area, or about crossbows, but I do know that there is no snowshoe hare hunting in the sub-regions south of the Fraser - though they are certainly there!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryo View Post
    I don't know the Chilliwack lake area, or about crossbows, but I do know that there is no snowshoe hare hunting in the sub-regions south of the Fraser - though they are certainly there!
    Thanks!
    In the regs for the MU that Chilliwack Lake falls under, it snowshoe hare is listed, so I'm assuming I can shoot one if I see it. Dont want to be wrong about that though

I haven't seen a snowshoe hare in that area. I could be totally wrong, but I haven't seen any this side of coq summit.
    There are deer in that area and definitely grouse. I have even seen grouse on the main road right before the prison.
    If you have the time ( an hour drive?) I would suggest going up to the coq summit just beyond the rest stop. There are forest service road accesses there. Grouse and snowshoe can be found there.
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

Waste of time. There is an odd cotton tail and very frw grouse. Region 2 is too wet for any grouse numbers
    Go fishing or go to region 8 for bugz and tweety
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

If your living in Chilliwack mag as well hunt here there is lots if area very close that have bunnies and birds.

forest service roads
    near tamahi
    ford mountain
    mount thurston
    vedder mountain
    bench road
    foley lake area
    slesse creek
    liumchean creek

North of the fraser

ruby creek
    east Harrison
    west hHarrison
    mount wood side

lots of country for you to explore in your back yard
    may a well buy a deer tag to to go with that upland game bird license you got there.

Quote Originally Posted by pheasantslayer View Post
    Thanks!
    In the regs for the MU that Chilliwack Lake falls under, it snowshoe hare is listed, so I'm assuming I can shoot one if I see it. Dont want to be wrong about that though
    Chilliwack Lake is in MU2-3 and Snowshoe hare is only allowed in MU 2-5 to 2-19. Like Ryo said, no snowshoe hare are allowed to be hunted south of the Fraser River or the #3 Hope Princeton till you get to MU8-4 and 8-5. Not worth getting busted over a couple rabbits.